International exchange students study at CSULA with the J-1 visa status. It is important that all exchange students comply with all exchange requirements:
- Maintain 2.0 GPA each term
- Enroll full time each term of the exchange
As a J-1 visa student, you are required to comply with regulations from the U.S. Department of State and Homeland Security during your stay. The following are the rules and regulations that you must follow. If you have any questions, consult with the Study Abroad Advisor.
- Maintain full course of study
- Obtain approval from the Study Abroad Advisor prior to falling below full time enrollment each term
- Apply for an extension of the DS-2019 prior to its expiration date if unable to complete the exchange program
- No unauthorized employment
- Keep passport valid at all times
- Update the International Office of address and other contact information changes
- Maintain valid health insurance for the duration of the exchange program at CSULA
Depending on the time of your exchange, you may face delays in visa processing due to the volume of requests. Applications during the summer typically take longer due to the number of international students preparing to start in the fall term. Schedule your visa interview as soon as possible to ensure timely processing.
Upon receipt of the Form DS-2019, you need to pay the SEVIS fee at: http://www.ice.gov/sevis/i901/index.htm. This is separate from the visa application fee to the U.S. Consulate.