Admission CriteriaAdmission to the Graduate Programs is a two layer process. Students must be admitted to the University and also satisfy the College’s requirements for admission to graduate programs.
Graduate applicants must meet all of the following requirements for admission consideration.
- Must possess a four-year bachelor’s degree (or its U.S. equivalent) from a recognized institution of higher education.
- Must be in good academic standing at the last college or university attended
- Must have a minimum 2.5 grade point average (A=4.0) in the last 90 quarter units (60 semester units) attempted.
- Must possess adequate English proficiency.
Graduate applicants must contact their major department and submit the department application by its deadline. The departments can be found at www.calstatela.edu/academic/aa/dcc/dept.php.
Procedure for Applying to CSULA
- Review the admission criteria for a graduate applicant.
- International students must submit the application by the domestic application deadline to be considered for an impacted program. Take note that the domestic deadline is an earlier date.
- Submit the online application at www.CSUMentor.edu. Please read instructions carefully and complete all appropriate sections. Each application is only good for the term you are applying. Please enter your name and date of birth correctly. Please review Name Integrity for more details.
- Pay the $55 application online or send a bank draft or money order to the Office of Admissions and Recruitment. Please include your CSULA Campus Identification Number which you will receive within 3-5 days after submitting the online application.
- Submit the required academic documents to the Office of Admissions and Recruitment by the deadline.
- Original of all OFFICIAL post-secondary records including certificates, degrees or diplomas in original language of issue with a certified English translation.
- Applicants who have studied in the U.S. are required to have the institutions in the U.S. send the transcripts directly to CSULA.
- Results of Test of English as a Foreign Language (TEOFL) or other acceptable test (see list below). Scores must be sent directly to CSULA from testing agency.
- Submit the Affidavit of Support with bank statements and a copy of your passport biographical page to the International Office.†
- If you are currently studying in the U.S. as a F-1 or J-1 international student, contact your current school’s international office regarding transfer out procedures.
Acceptable English Language Exams and Scores: (institution code 4399)
TOEFL: 80 ibt or higher
PTE: 53 or higher
IELTS: Band 6 or higher
TESOL program applicants: TOEFL (100 ibt); IELTS (7.5)
All graduate and postbaccalaureate applicants, regardless of citizenship, whose preparatory education was principally in a language other than English, must demonstrate competence in English. Those who do not possess a bachelor's degree from a postsecondary institution where English is the principal language of instruction must complete and submit satisfactory English Proficiency Exam scores. A statement verifying English as the medium of instruction will be required from the institution.