UNIVERSITY AND COMMUNITY SERVICE
SELECTED RECENT ACCOMPLISHMENTS AT CAL STATE L.A.
- Provided on-going supervision of two senior management appointees—the Associate Dean of Graduate Studies & Research and the Director of Research Administration—as well as of my office staff.
- Lead the effort to develop Strategic Plans in the areas of Graduate Studies and Research, accomplished through a collaborative and consultative process involving meetings with a wide range of campus groups, including faculty, administrators, staff, and students.
- Developed a graduate recruitment unit, with responsibilities for recruiting domestic and international students for graduate study at Cal State L.A.
- Served as director and principal graduate adviser for the MA/MS in Interdisciplinary Studies program, based in the Office of Graduate Studies & Research. This included working with the Graduate Studies Policy Advisory Council, which served as the program’s advisory group campus-wide graduate student programs.
- Served as Level 2 Hearing Officer on several faculty grievances.
- Wrote and participated in implementing the new Policies & Procedures document for oversight of Cal State L.A.’s University Clinics.
- Conducted a review of the travel restrictions imposed on campus-sanctioned travelers found for Cuba, and developed procedures for certifying eligibility of campus-sanctioned travelers (both students and faculty).
- Served as TESOL Program Chair for 5 years, performing duties that included enrollment management planning, class scheduling, hiring of part-time instructors, and recruitment of two new faculty members.
University Institutional Grants Oversight Administrator
- Served as the Senior Research Administrator for Cal State L.A., which includes responsibility as the certifying officer for research compliance in the areas of animal and human research.
- Reviewed and gave final Academic Affairs approval on all grant and contract budget submissions prior to their review by the university’s Sponsored Programs Administrator.
- Advised the Provost on issues dealing with the university’s Indirect Cost Recovery portfolio.
Other Grants & Contract Activities
- Have participated in National Science Foundation (NSF) review panels and have previously participated in review panels with the US Department of Education.
- Represented Cal State L.A. in the development of Professional Science Masters degrees, through collaborations funded by the Sloan Foundation. Served as PI for a Sloan Foundation-funded development grant to develop 3 professional master’s degree programs (biotechnology, environmental science, and forensic science), 2001-2002. Currently serve as member of a CSU-wide team preparing an implementation proposal at Sloan’s request for a statewide PSM initiative for the CSUs.
- Have represented Cal State L.A. in HACU-sponsored meetings.
- Directed a major $4.6 million international contract funded by United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and subcontracted by the Institute for International Development (IIE), 2000-2003. Program provided teacher training to 1100 math and science teachers from Egypt, both in the U.S. and in Egypt.
- Served as Executive Secretary of both the Institutional Review Board (IRB) and the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC), 2002-2003.
- Served as PI on several contracts to provide short-term educational training for visiting Chinese professionals, including a 1-1/2 day conference on education issues for Chinese educational professionals and a 2-1/2 day workshop on English teaching methods for educational administrators & teachers from Shanghai. Currently in discussions on development of an MA TESOL program and on an MS Engineering program both planned for delivery in China by Cal State L.A. faculty.
- Mentored several faculty members in the process of development proposals for external funding, including several successful proposals funded by IIE and a recent NEH proposal for a conference on cross-national research focusing on Latin America.
Strategic Planning Activities
- Coordinated the Graduate Enrollment Management planning for the campus, in collaboration with the Associate Dean of Graduate Studies & Research and the college deans; identified specific data elements for tracking graduate students (e.g., time to degree, completion rates per program, etc.).
- Developed strategic plans in both graduate studies and research and sponsored programs.
- Coordinated academic planning activities in graduate studies, including planning for new degree programs and coordination of negotiations for proposed joint doctorates.
Professional Development and Campus Service
- President of the Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi, 2004-05; officer and board member, 2001-present.
- Prepared third edition of writing textbook, published in 2006 (Writing Literature Reviews: A Guide for Students of the Social and Behavioral Sciences. Los Angeles: Pyrczak Publishing. Originally published in 1999.) Textbook is used in 90+ universities across the U.S.
- Taught as visiting instructor in MA TESOL Program of Teacher’s College, Columbia University, New York City (course on Computer-Assisted Language Learning), May 2003 and June 2004. Class website is available at: http://www.calstatela.edu/academic/aa/gsr/call2004].
- Represented Academic Affairs as member of the Charter College of Education’s Advisory Committee on Assessment, and served as member of the Cal State L.A. TESOL Advisory Committee.
- Serve as PI on the Program for Academic Partnerships to Promote International Scholarship (PAPPIS), funded to develop opportunities for collaborations with universities abroad, 2003-present.