About the English Language Program (ELP)
The English Language Program (ELP) at Cal State LA allows students to quickly improve their English skills and succeed at a university level through intensive and dynamic curriculum. Instruction focuses on the following areas:
- Academic Preparation
The program includes six pre-academic proficiency levels (Level 1: Entry – Level 6: Advanced) while four co-academic levels allow students to enroll in both university credit courses and ELP courses during the same term.
Students also take a full course of pre-academic study that consists of at least 18 hours of classroom instruction per week during each academic term.
Additional Program Features
Other Program Features Include:
Small Class Sizes: With classes of 12-18 students each, students benefit from increased attention from instructors.
TOEFL & IELTS Readiness: ELP's skills-based program prepares English language learners to meet and surpass the minimum TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) scores required for admission to California State University, Los Angeles, and other American colleges and universities.
ELP students begin their day with intensive instruction in English reading, writing and grammar, while afternoons are dedicated to speaking and listening skills and the ELP enrichment course.
|Monday & Wednesday|
9:00 a.m. - 10:50 a.m.
Reading, Writing, Grammar
11:05 a.m. - 12:35 p.m.
|Tuesday, Thursday, Friday|
9:00 a.m. - 10:20 a.m.
Reading, Writing, Grammar
10:35 a.m. - 12:25 p.m.
1:15 p.m. - 2:35 p.m.
California State University, Los Angeles (Cal State LA) is a public institution and is one of the 23 campuses of the California State University (www.calstate.edu).
The University is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) (www.wascweb.org), and is recognized and sanctioned by the California Postsecondary Education Commission (www.cpec.ca.gov).
I have been accepted. What are the next steps?
Participate in Orientation:
At the start of each academic term, students will receive an on-site student orientation where they will learn about English Language Program content and expectations, conversation practice opportunities, rules and regulations, accommodation services, local transportation, school policies, and student responsibilities. Students will also receive:
- An official Cal State LA Student Identification Card, computer access login, and a Cal State LA email account
- Performance reports with letter grades issued at the end of each academic term
- A Certificate of Participation following the successful completion of all program requirements
- Free access to university resources including the Kennedy Library, Writing Center, University Student Union, conversation clubs, computer labs, Wi-Fi access, gym facilities, basketball and tennis courts, and on-campus heated swimming pools.
- Opportunities to participate in cultural and social events outside of class that will allow you to meet others in your program