Housing and Transportation

There are four types of living accommodations available during your time at Cal State LA: Homestay, Apartment, Extended-Stay Hotel, or On-Campus Housing. The English Language Program has compiled helpful information and resources to help you find the most appropriate accommodations for your study in Los Angeles experience. 

Click on the arrow below to see information. 

How to Apply for Homestay (Host Family)

If you want to live with an area family (Host Family), you should try to live in the El Sereno neighborhood of Los Angeles or in the nearby cities of Alhambra, South Pasadena, Pasadena, San Gabriel, Arcadia, or Monterey Park – these are nice cities and fairly close to campus. They also have a lot of buses for you to ride to school. There are several options available:

American Homestay Network:
Contact Ms. Victoria Nettles by email at homestay@homestaynetwork.com or by telephone at +1 888 268 1903. Alternatively, you can go to the website at www.homestaynetwork.com, read the website about their innovative programs, and follow the instructions to apply on line.

Homestay Services International:
Contact Mr. Jae Hopkins, Director by email at homestay@homestayservices.com, by telephone at +1 619 461 4764, or by fax at +1 619 670 3397. Alternatively, you can go to the website at www.homestayservices.com, read the website and follow the instructions to download the application or apply online.

StudentLink International:
Contact StudentLink by email at info@istudentlink.com or go to their website at www.istudentlink.com/CSULA.html and follow the instructions to apply online. When you fill in the application, be sure to choose “Cal State LA” for “College You'll Attend.”

Universal Student Housing (USH):
For Universal Student Housing, you can find out about prices at www.ushstudent.com/homestay-csu-la-american-culture-language, and you can apply online by clicking “Apply” at the top of their home page at www.ushstudent.com. Be sure to choose “Homestay”, and when you fill in the application, be sure to choose “California State University, Los Angeles” under “School.” If you have difficulties with the form, you send an inquiry to contact@usaish.com.

How to Apply for an Apartment

  • Most apartments in our area are not advertised on the Internet.  Students find apartments by looking in the local papers or driving around the area and looking for signs in front of houses and apartment buildings.
  • Go to these websites and search in the cities of Alhambra, South Pasadena, Pasadena, San Gabriel, Arcadia, or Monterey Park. If you find an apartment you like, tell them you are an international student and cannot get a Social Security Number. Ask them if you can make special payment arrangements without a “credit check”.

www.apartments.com   www.latimes.com   
www.chinesedaily.com   www.sgvtribune.com

Extended-Stay Hotels: Daily and Weekly Rates

How to Apply for On-Campus Housing

Space is very limited, so you must apply early!

If you are an ELP student, please follow the following application instructions.

  • Click here to read the Prospective Residents Housing Benefits and Services page.
  • To apply, go to this website: http://www.calstatela.edu/univ/housing/elp-signup.php
  • Download and Print the following forms (you can type on the screen before you print)
    • Housing Services Application and License Agreement
    • Emergency Contact Form
    • Tuberculosis Verification Form (must be completed by student’s doctor and turned in to Housing Services at least 2 weeks before arrival)
    • Meningococcal Disease Notification Form
  • Click here to review the Detailed Payment Schedule for deadlines and amounts due.  (Phase I/II double occupancy schedule).
  • Click here to review Meal Plan options (optional if you want to include meals – if not, the apartments have kitchens for your use).
  • Fill out the License Agreement, emergency and medical forms.  MAKE SURE THE STUDENT SIGNS ALL OF THESE FORMS!!!
  • Attach your Check or International Money Order for the Room Rental + Fees + Meal Plan (if you want the meal plan). The Payment Schedule is at http://web.calstatela.edu/univ/housing/Payment_Schedules.php.  Make sure you send the total amount due.  Please send a separate Check or Money Order for each student. DO NOT USE THE CREDIT CARD PAYMENT METHOD! DO NOT SUBMIT ONLINE!

If not paying online, mail the Housing Services Application and License Agreement, and Payment to:

Cal State LA Housing Services
5300 Paseo Rancho Castilla
Los Angeles, California 90032 USA

  • You can check the status of your application by emailing askhousing@cslanet.calstatela.edu.  Wait about three weeks. Then, you should call them to check on your application at telephone +1 323 343 4800. This is very important to call Housing if the academic quarter will begin soon.
  • Housing Services will send you an email (but if you applied late, you need to call them).  The email will tell you the result of your application.
  • Two results are possible:
    • You received a room! Good! You will hear from the Housing Services Office if you are approved for a room.
    • You didn’t get a room and you are now on the Waitlist. This could be a problem!  If you did not get a room and are on the Waitlist,  you should look for another housing option immediately.  Don’t wait – make another plan immediately – homestay, apartment or hotel.


Transportation from the Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) cannot be arranged by the ELP, but can often be arranged through one of the Homestay providers listed above if you will be living with a Host Family. Otherwise, we suggest you contact the following sources for airport transportation: for taxis, search www.layellowcab.com or www.unitedtaxi.com for shuttles, see www.supershuttle.com or www.primetimeshuttle.com.