Apply Online at Cal State Apply (Fall 2019 Deadlines: Octobert 1st 2018 -February 15th, 2019)
- Complete the Department Supplemental Application (Within two weeks of Cal State Apply Application submission).
- Submit official academic records/transcripts to the Admissions Office within two week of university application submission.
- If you have studied at an institution outside of the US, you will need to have your foreign academic work evaluated by International Education Research Foundation (IERF) or World Education Services (WES) for securing admission into the program.
- IERF - Visit https://apply.ierf.org/ to create an online application requesting the "Detailed Report”. The foreign evaluation fee is $165 (USD). When submitting your course work to IERF please make sure to indicate that you were referred by "CSU Los Angeles- Office of Graduate Admissions" and that you would like to have the official agency copy of the evaluation report sent directly to CSU Los Angeles- Office of Graduate Admissions.
- WES - Visit http://www.wes.org/fees/evaltypes.asp to create an online application, you will need to order the course-by-course evaluation report. $160 for the WES Basic or $205 for the WES ICAP.
- For steps on how to submit your foreign academic records to these agencies, click here.
1. Graduate Record Exam (GRE) score is NOT required (for Computer Science Program). However, GRE score can be considered in the admission process and can also exempt graduate students from (GWAR) Graduate Writing Assessment Requirement UNIV 4000 if you have a score of 4 on the analytic writing portion of the GRE or GMAT ( For more information please visit the following website: GWAR ).
2. Letters of Recommendations are NOT require (only upon department request for certain circumstances)
3. Applicants must possess a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, or a related field with a GPA of 3.0 or better. A promising applicant with a GPA below 3.0 may be admitted as a special action student.
4. Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required for students who do not possess a bachelor's degree from an institution where English is the principle language of instruction. A score of 80 ibt or higher is required. (For additional information please visit the following website: Language Proficiency Requirement)
5. Currently, there is no teaching or research assistantships offered through the Computer Science department. Refer to the Center for Financial aid for financial assistance available from federal, state and institutional sources at Cal State L.A.
6. Go to the Student Handbook for more information about the graduate program at the Computer Science Department.
7. Go to University Admission: FAQs page for more detailed information about the university graduate admission.
After Admission FAQs
1. Note that the applicants who meet all the University requirements are admitted as Graduate Conditionally Classified. It implies that the students will be evaluated for any prerequisites during the orientation. See Flowchart
2. The Computer Science Department will conduct advisement/orientation sessions for new incoming graduate students to set up a study plan and determine which prerequisites courses must be taken prior to beginning any courses for your graduate program. (Advisement/orientation dates for new incoming graduate students will be announced soon!)
3. Questions Regarding MSCS Program Graduate Admissions Contact us: ECSTGradAdmission@calstatela.edu