All mail pieces (except keys and identifications devices mailed under the applicable standards) that are ¼ inch thick or less must be rectangular, at least 3 ½ inches high and at least 5 inches long. All mailed items must be at least 0.007 inch thick, weigh no more than 70 pounds and be no more than 108 inches in length and girth combined.
Letter-Size Mail Dimensions:
At least 5 inches long, 3 ½ inches high, and 0.007 inch think. Not more than 11 ½ inches long, 6-1/8 inches high or ¼ inches thick.
At least 3 ½ inches high, 5 inches long and 0.007 inch thick. Not more than 4 ¼ inches high, 6 inches long or 0.16 inch thick.
Flat-Size Mail Dimensions:
More than 11 ½ inches long, 6-1/8 inches high or ¼ inch thick.
Not more than 15 inches long, 12 inches high or ¾ inch thick.
Proper Addressing for Packages and Mail Coming to Cal State L.A.:
Your Department Name (required) and Mail Code
Cal State L.A.
5151 State University Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90032
You will get the best possible service if you:
- CAPITALIZE EVERYTHING IN THE ADDRESS.
- Type or machine print all address information.
- Ensure address characters don’t touch or overlap.
- Print black ink on white background, if possible.
- Maintain a uniform left margin.
- Make sure print is clear and sharp.
- Omit all punctuation (except the hyphen between zip code and + 4).
- Include floor, suite and apartment numbers whenever possible.
- Put the city, state and zip code in that order on the last line.
- If there’s not enough room, put the zip code on the bottom line.
- Make sure the place where you want the mail delivered appears on the line immediately above the city, state, and zip code line.
- Use standard two-letter state abbreviations.
- When using window envelopes, make sure the complete address is always visible, even when the insert moves.
- Leave one or two spaces between words and between the state abbreviation and zip code.