Chemistry & Biochemistry

CSULA Logo and link to CSULA

Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry

College of Natural and Social Sciences

Biological Science room 336 | (323) 343-2300 (fax-(323) 343-6490)

Chem Department logo

|Advisement Information||Suggested Course Sequences| |2-Year Course Offerings| |Requirements

for Entering Students

| |Graduation Requirements|

|Special Programs|




EPT English Placement Test

This test is required for all entering

undergraduates, with some exceptions (see catalog) such as a score

of 470 or higher on the SAT verbal test or 25 or higher on the ACT

English test. Eligibility for Engl 095, 096, and 101 is determined

by the results of the EPT, which students must take before they register

for any courses. The exam is usually given once per quarter. For exam

dates and registration information contact the University Testing

Center (Library South 1040C)


ELM Entry Level Mathematics Exam

This test is required for all entering

undergraduates, with some exceptions (see catalog), such as a score

of 560 or better on the math section of the SAT, a score of 24 or

higher on the ACT math test, a score of 25 or higher on the Enhanced

ACT math test, or completion of a college math course that satisfies

the GE math requirement. The exam is usually offered once per quarter

- see Schedule of Classes for the dates. The ELM must be taken before

registering for any courses and may be taken at another CSU campus

if their exams' dates are more convenient. An ELM workbook is available

in the campus bookstore for about $7.00. See Testing Center (Library

South 1040C) for further details.


Chemistry Placement Exam

A passing score on this test is required

to enroll in Chem 101. The content of the exam is roughly 1/3 quantitative

chemistry, 1/3 descriptive chemistry and 1/3 math. The exam is offered

on a daily basis, with examination times beginning on the hour throughout

the day in the Testing Center (Library South 1040C). The exam takes

45 minutes, and is graded immediately afterward to make the score

-available to the student. The exam may be taken only once per quarter.


Mathematics Proficiency Exams

A passing score on these exams is required

for registration in Math 206 (or a grade of C or better in Math 102

and 103 within the previous year). There are exit exams for Math 102

and 103. Students must pass both exams to qualify for calculus. There

is no time limit lFormerly Chem 362 Biomedical Nficroanalysis for

these exams, each of which consist of 15 multiple choice questions.

The exams can be taken on demand, but there is a limit on how many

times the tests may be repeated during the quarter. For details contact

Testing Center, Library South 1040C. These screening exams can be

taken before the ELM, but both are required prior to

enrolling in math courses.

All new students must take a 2 unit course, Introduction to Higher

Education, NSS 101, for Chemistry and Biochemistry majors during their

first or second quarters. Effective Fall '99, all transfer students

must take a similar upper division course, Transition to CSULA for

NSS Majors, NSS 301. their first quarter.


     The following

information is provided to help students plan their overall degree

program, including components in the major and outside the major.


WPE Writing Proficiency Exam

Consult the current schedule and catalog

for information on the WPE. Students must pass Engl 101 and 102 (or

equivalent, e.g., 190 that is no longer offered) with a grade of C

or better before attempting the WPE. It is recommended that this exam

be taken as soon as possible after Engl 102. A passing score on the

WPE is a prerequisite for Chem 360. Also, students must pass the WPE

prior to completion of 135 quarter units. Transfer students who have

completed 135 quarter units upon entrance must pass the WPE during

their first quarter in residence here. The exam takes 90 minutes and

involves writing an essay in response to a short prompt. Dates and

times are listed in schedule of classes. Registration is accomplished

by enrolling in UNIV 400 using the same process as for all other courses.

A fee (ca. $15.00) must be paid along with registration fees. Detailed

information about the WPE is available at the Testing Office, Library

South 1040C.


GE (General Education) requirements

Effective Fall Quarter, 1998, new GE

requirements have been adopted by the University. For new non-transfer

students, these requirements are outlined in the Schedule of Classes

and have probably been sent to you with your acceptance materials.

For transfer students who have not missed registration at their college

or university more than one semester or two quarters, consult your

Evaluation of Transfer Credit form, which lists the transfer courses

for which credit has been given, the courses each student must take

and the student's GE catalogue date (if this date is prior to F98,

the student is under the old requirements). For both the old and new

programs, remember that English 102 is also a University requirement.

Students must fulfill those requirements described in their catalog

of record (for transfer students, see the above evaluation form for

catalog of record). Under the old GE requirements, the mathematics

and natural science components of the lower division GE program are

fulfilled by courses required in the chemistry and biochemistry majors,

except that chemistry majors need to take a biological science course

with lab to complete their GE science requirement. This situation

is the same with the new requirements. Also, while science majors

only require 8 units in section B, they must take 12 unit in both

sections C and D, The most important difference in the new GE program

is that the basic subjects section of the GE program (ENGL 101, SPCH

150, PHIL 250, and MATH 102) must be completed

within the first 45 units that are counted towards the student's baccalaureate

degree. Another difference in the new GE program is that students

now have to take two diversity courses from anywhere within blocks

B, C, D or their upper division theme. Also, as before, a C- grade

is not acceptable for English 102 and the basic subjects GE Courses

(a C- is acceptable for all other GE courses so long as the average

of all GE courses is 2.000 or better).


Upper Division Theme

A 12 unit theme must be completed after

reaching upper division standing (i.e., after 90 units). Before taking

any upper division theme course a student must complete the basic

subject's part of the lower division GE requirements as well as one

course each of the blocks B, C, D and E. See the Schedule of Classes

for a description. Transfer students who are certified by a community

college for their lower division GE, should consider choosing an upper

division theme that contains diversity courses in two different theme



Language requirement

One year of German is recommended for

the B.S. degree in Chemistry (since German no longer is given at this

campus, one year of French can be an alternate); one year of French

or German is recommended for the B.S. degree in Biochemistry; there

is no language requirement for the B.A. degree in Chemistry.


Upper Division Electives in the Major

It is important that these courses be

selected jointly by the student and his/her advisor before the student

enrolls in any elective course. Electives taken without the consent

of the student's advisor may, in some cases, not be allowed on the

student's degree program.

  Upper Division Biology Electives for

Biochem Majors. Courses in Biology for which no credit is allowed

toward a Biology degree are not allowable as electives. Courses from

other departments may be substituted for biology courses only with

the approval of the Instructional Affairs Committee in consultation

with a biochemisLry faculty member. Specifically, it is strongly recommended

that all biology electives be taken from the courses below and that

at least one course be taken from each of the following two groups:

    Genetics - Biol 340 General Genetics,

Biol 416 Molecular Genetics, Biol 417 Gene Manipulation.

Physiology and Development - Biol 424 General Embryology, Biol

430/431 Plant Physiology, Biol 433/434 Animal Physiology, Biol 436

Neurophysiology, Biol 437 Advanced Cell Physiology.

The above courses are recommended because

they complement the courses in the biochemistry major well. Other

Biology courses may also be of special interest to certain students,

and should be discussed with their advisor. Those students who have

finished Biochemistry (Chem 431ABC) may, at the discretion of the

instructor, be able to take the upper division biology electives listed

above without having completed all the normal prerequisites. For example,

it may be possible to take Biol 417 without taking Biol 380 first.

It should also be noted that for some students, Chem 438 Bioinorganic

Chemistry, may be taken instead of one of the above Biology Electives.

If this substitution is made, the other two Biology Electives must

include a Genetics course and a Physiology course.

  Upper Division Electives for Chemistry

Majors: Only 3 units of Chem 499 may be

used to satisfy the elective requirement of either the B.A. or B.S.

degree in chemistry. Courses with an "N" suffix, such as Chem 380N,

may not be used as electives.


General Degree Requirements

The General Requirements for the Bachelor's

Degree include such factors as an overall 2.000 GPA, a grade of (C-)

or higher in all courses required for the major, a GPA of 2.000 in

the major and in the upper division units in the major, a minimum

of 45 units taken at Cal State LA, a minimum of 60 upper division

units, and several other sl2ecific requirements. The catalog

contains a complete description of these general graduation requirements,

along with the general education and major requirements. All of these

requirements should be carefully examined, since failure to meet any

one of them will delay graduation. For example, a B.A. student may

not qualify for graduation if that student has fewer than the 60 upper

division units required by the University, even though that student

has met all GE and major requirements.


Filing for graduation

At least a year before graduation students

should complete and submit, through the department office, their Official

Program form for their degree. These forms are available in the Department

Office. The program, which should be determined in conjunction with

the student's advisor, lists all courses for the major that have been

taken or which remain to be taken (including specific electives).

A Bachelor's Degree Worksheet must also be completed. This worksheet

shows how other specific graduation requirements, such as the upper

division theme, have been met. In addition, students must complete

a Graduation Application form and pay the pplication fees to the Cashier's

Office. The student should make an appointment with the principal

undergraduate advisor to check the program and GE status on-line.

Then the Graduation Application, Bachelor's Degree Worksheet and major

program must be submitted together through the Chemistry &

Biochemistry Office for graduation during the filing period stated

in the Schedule of Classes. (Open windows

for filing are usually about six months prior to the quarter of graduation)

      The process of filing for graduation

should be done in close cooperation with the student's advisor. After

the Official Program form has been filed, any changes must be submitted

on a change of program form, through the advisor. When filing for

graduation it is important to check that all degree requirements will

be fulfilled by the proposed graduation date, including lower division

GE requirements, the upper division GE theme, major requirements,

and the general requirements for the bachelor's degree.


Dual Majors

A dual major is possible so long as both

degrees are of the same type (e.g., both B. A. or both B. S.). In

order to initiate a dual major, the student must inform both departments

in writing and copy the registrar. Clearly all requirements of both

majors must be satisfied, however, the University also requires that

the student complete a course or courses in both majors during the

quarter that he/she plans to graduate.


Credential Requirements

Students interested in fulfilling requirements

for a teaching credential should see Dr. Paulson in P. S. 703.

Phil 250 is the

critical thinking course that the department recommends for this requirement.

It is OK, however, if a student has already taken one of the other

critical thinking courses such as SPCH 176 or POLS 155.

Dr Novak's linkDr. Hibbs's linkDr. Davis's linkErnie Weber's linkDr. Mayo's linkJackie Hams linkDr. Colville's linkDr. Stull's linkJohn Mack's linkDr. Ehlig's linkDr. Colburn's linkDr Ramirez's linkrichardKeith Ehlert's linkDr. Kim Bishop linkLink to Geological Sciences homepageLink to School of Natural and Social SciencesLink to Cal State L.A. HomepageLink to College  of Natural and Social SciencesLink to Cal State L.A. Homepage