GUIDE FOR CHEM. 101 HOUR EXAM 1: FRIDAY OCT. 21
Chapter sections: Chapter 1: all except 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.5; Chapter 2: all; Chapter 3: all except 3.2, 3.6, 3.11, 3.12; Chapter 4: Sections 4.1, 4.3, and 4.4 only.
Possible question topics:
- Conversion of data and significant figures
- constitution of atoms and isotopes
- atomic weights
- description of key experiments in establishing the constitution of the atom (Rutherford; Thomson); the mole; sizes and numbers of atoms
- probable formulas of simple ions
- percent composition
- empirical and molecular formula
- balancing simple equations and understanding their stoichiometry.