Purpose and Who We Serve
The Cal State LA Food Pantry, under the division of Student Life, works in close partnership with the office of the Dean of Students, the University Student Union, and with various departments throughout campus such as the Alumni Association, Associated Students Inc. (ASI), Center for Student Involvement (CSI), College of Health and Human Services, College of Natural and Social Sciences, Department of Financial Aid, Kinesiology and Nutritional Science, Marketing, Public Health, Social Work, and Sociology. The food pantry’s objective is to provide currently enrolled students with free food regardless of verified need as a means of supporting their wellbeing. Our goal is to eliminate as many barriers as possible to ensure ultimate success for Cal State LA students.
Location and Hours
University Student Union, Room 308E (across from the Los Angeles Room),
The Food Pantry will be open on the following days of the week:
- Service Days: Wednesdays, 11 AM – 1 PM and 3 PM – 5 PM
- Currently enrolled Cal State LA students are eligible to pick up pre-packaged food bags.
- For appointments outside of this schedule please contact 323-343-3103.
- Donation Days: Mondays, 11 AM – 1 PM and 3 PM – 5 PM
- Staff, faculty, and students can donate non-perishable food items for distribution during the semester.
- All donations must canned, dried, or pre-packaged as non-perishable
How to Receive Services
To receive free food from the Food Pantry, Cal State LA students must provide proof of enrollment by accessing their GET account and must present their student ID.
How to Donate
Giving is Golden! at Cal State LA. Here are the non-perishable food items to consider when donating to the university Food Pantry:
Other Food Items
Donations can be dropped off at the following locations:
- Cal State LA Food Pantry, U-SU 308 E, 11am-1pm and 3pm-5pm, Mondays and Wednesdays (during the semester)
- Office of the Dean of Students, SA 115, 8am-6pm, Monday-Friday
- Center for Student Involvement, U-SU 204, 8am-6pm, Monday-Friday
If your department is interested in becoming a Cal State LA Food Pantry donation site, please contact us at 323-343-3103.
Fall 2017 Food Pantry Usage Data
As of fall 2017, the food pantry has served over 1,500 Cal State LA students since its opening in the spring of 2017. We serve an average of more than 100 students per week. Below are statistics captured through an optional and anonymous survey for fall 2017 to date:
- 67% of users are returners
- 59% of users identify as female, 39% identify as male, and 2% as non-gender conforming
- 50% of users identify as Hispanic or Latino with the next highest percentages being 10% who identify as Black or African American, 9% who identify as White or Caucasian, and the remaining 30% identify as other specific ethnic backgrounds
- 25% of users are senior-standing students, 23% of users identifying as junior-standing, 14% are graduate students, and 15% are freshman-standing students, and 8% are sophomore-standing students
- 86% of users live off campus with 14% living on campus
- 90% of users do not currently have CalFresh benefits, with 9% of users indicating that they do receive CalFresh benefits.