CINQA General Chemistry

General Chemistry for Biology and Microbiology Majors:

Students must pass the CHEM 101 placement test in the University Testing Center (Library Palmer Wing room 2098) before they can register for CHEM 101.  The content of the exam is roughly 40% quantitative chemistry, 40% descriptive chemistry and 20% math. The exam is offered daily, with examination times beginning on the hour throughout the day in the Testing Center. The exam takes 45 minutes, and is graded immediately afterward to make the score available to the student. The exam may be taken only once per quarter. 

If a student passes the CHEM 101 placement test, they are given a permit slip to take to the Chemistry Department (PS 616) to get a permit to register for CHEM 101.  Permits are not issued before the day a student is scheduled to register for classes. Students should bring both the permit slip and proof of their registration day to the Chemistry Department to get the actual permit to register for this course.  Students can obtain proof of registration day from their GET account.

Students who did NOT take high school chemistry or barely passed high school chemistry, students who performed poorly in high school or college math, students who placed below MATH 102, and students who do not pass the CHEM 101 placement test should enroll in CHEM 155 [Introductory Chemistry] (4 units) before taking CHEM 101. Students who complete CHEM 155 still need to pass the CHEM 101 placement exam before enrolling in CHEM 101.  CHEM 155 will not count towards the major; an equivalent course at a community college ( can be taken in place of CHEM 155 in order to prepare for the CHEM 101 placement test.

Please note that the General Chemistry sequence (CHEM 101-103) starts in the Fall and Winter quarters only.

Quantitative Analysis:

CHEM 201 (5 units) is a prerequisite for the Organic Chemistry series (CHEM 301ABC, CHEM 302AB), and as such has been listed as a requirement for the B.S. degrees in Biology and Microbiology.  CHEM 201 can be taken at the same time as CHEM 301A.  Students who have completed the organic chemistry sequence without taking CHEM 201, can substitute another lower division science course (that is at least 5 units) for CHEM 201 as long as that course is not required somewhere else in the degree program in GET.

Organic Chemistry:

Biology and Microbiology majors must complete lecture courses CHEM 301ABC, and the laboratory courses CHEM 302AB.  CHEM 301A does not have a laboratory associated with it. CHEM 301B and CHEM 302A are generally taken together, and CHEM 301C and CHEM 302B are usually taken together.

Transfer of Lower Division Organic Chemistry Courses from a Community College:

If a student completes a year of lower division organic chemistry WITH LAB from a community college, they will receive LOWER DIVISION UNITS for CHEM 301A + 301B + 302A + 302B. However, THEY STILL MUST TAKE CHEM 301C (3 units) at CSULA and pass it with at least a D- or better grade.

Transfer of Lower Division Organic Chemistry Courses from a Four-Year Institution:

If a student completes a year of LOWER DIVISION organic chemistry WITH LAB from another 4-year school, they will need to have the Biology Department Principal Undergraduate Advisor (in conjunction with the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry) evaluate it for full or partial credit for the organic chemistry sequence at CSULA.

Note: All students MUST STILL COMPLETE 60 UPPER division units for the BS degree, whether or not they request lower division credit for upper division requirements.

Transfer of Upper Division Organic Chemistry Courses:

If a student completes a year of UPPER DIVISION organic chemistry WITH LAB, they will receive UPPER DIVISION UNITS for CHEM 301ABC + CHEM 302AB; however, if they are already students at CSULA, they are not encouraged to take their classes at another institution during the academic year.

Number of visitors: