Kai-shek's Former Residences at Fenghua consists of the
Fenggao House, the Yutai Salt Shop and the
House, situated on the Middle Street, Xikou, Fenghua City
and facing the stream, was the birthplace of Chiang Kai-shek
and his son Chiang Jing-guo. Its architectural space covers
an area of 4800 sq.m. and its floorage is 1850 sq.m. The
structure of the house is typical of traditional Chinese
style with an antechamber, a back chamber, two wings and
four verandas. The high buildings and elegant balconies,
the winding verandas, the black columns and red walls, all
these add splendidness to the house. In the front courtyard
there are three gardens, connected with each other by moon-shaped
gates. The honeysuckle in the small mid-courtyard was planted
by Mm. Song Meilin. The east and the west wing-rooms were
respectively the living-rooms of Mm. Song and Mao Fumei
(Mr. Chiang's first wife). The independent little house
to the west of the west wing used to be the residence of
Chiang' mother. The central parlor is called "Baobentang"
(Hall of Payment of Gratitude), where the Chiang's family
used to offer sacrifices to ancestors, the Heaven and the
Earth. On the inscribed
board outside the Hall were the four Chinese characters
"yu li shuai qi" written by Mr. Chiang Kai-shek
on his son Chiang Jing-guo's 40-year birthday, which show
Chiang's encouragement for his son to carry out his cause,
to convince people and to be a leader of the people.
entrance to the Danqiang Lane on the Mid-street of Xikou,
is the site where The Yutai Salt Shop was originally situated.
The Shop was the property of Mr. Chiang's father and grandfather's
as well as his birthplace. The Shop is a stone building.
On the horizontal board were inscribed two Chinese characters
"qing lu" (Quiet Cottage), and on the cornerstone
at the front are the words:"the original site of the
Yutai Salt Shop, written by Mr. Chiang Kai-shek."
House, a two-storey building, was built in 1930. Standing
at the foot of the Wushan Mountain and facing the Shanxi
River, the House is in the quiet and beautiful environment.
Mr. Chiang Jing-guo lived here after his return from Soviet
Union in 1937. In the house there is a stone tablet on which
are four Chinese characters "yi xue xi xue" (blood
for blood) written by Mr. Chiang Jing-guo, which show his
bitter hatred for the Japanese enemies and his will to avenge
his mother's death.¡¡
Kai-shek's Former Residences at Fenghua is a national key
unit for cultural relics preservation of the State Council