What Is VITA?
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program is administered jointly by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and the Cal State LA VITA Program. VITA volunteers provide FREE income tax preparation assistance to low-income, elderly, disabled, and limited English speaking taxpayers.
Who Should Participate?
Accounting students interested in pursuing careers in public or governmental accounting.
Volunteers must be prepared to volunteer for approximately 100 hours: 25 hours of training and 75 hours of live tax preparation. Note: These hours will accumulate over 6 months, October 2016 – April 2017. Saturday attendance is MANDATORY!
IRS VITA Certification
Volunteers must pass a web-based IRS certification test.
NIS Login and Password
Volunteers must have valid access to campus-wide computer terminals with an NIS account for the entire length of the program.
ACCT 3210 - Taxation of Individuals is recommended, but not required. Training will cover all topics necessary to prepare tax returns for taxpayers.
Upon completion of VITA, volunteers will be entitled to the following benefits:
- 3 Hours Accounting Elective Course credit!*
- The opportunity to meet and learn from accounting professionals
- Relevant hands-on work experience
- Internal Revenue Service and Board of Equalization Certificate of Appreciation
- Cal State LA VITA Certificate of Completion
- Eligibility to participate in the IRS and CA FTB Mentoring Programs
- The opportunity to provide a valuable service to your community
* Only volunteers in good standing will be allowed to register for the Accounting Elective (ACCT 4210D & 5210D).
Volunteers must complete the entire Program satisfactorily, must be a student during the previous Spring Semester, and must pay tuition and fees associated with registration.
Interested in participating? Contact Dr. David Hossain at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.