Silvia L. Martin is an Assistant Professor of International Business and Marketing at California State University LA. Her research has been published in top tier journals including Journal of International Marketing, Journal of Business Research and International Business Review, as well as in several peer-reviewed conference proceedings. Her articles have received best paper awards from the American Marketing Association, and she has been recipient of the McGraw-Hill Distinguished Paper Award. In addition, Dr. Martin serves in the Editorial Review Board of Journal of Business Research.
Dr. Martin is currently the Representative for the Innovation Entrepreneurship and Knowledge Academy (INEKA) Legates in United States, and she held the role of President of the Association of Collegiate Marketing Educators, Federation of Business Disciplines.
Dr. Martin has taught a variety of courses including International Marketing, Marketing Research, Intercultural Business Communication, Marketing Management, and Principles of Marketing, for undergraduate and graduate levels, as well as in Executive Programs. Dr. Martin has extensive international teaching experience teaching courses in U.K. (University of Bath, Cardiff University, and Bristol Business School), in France (Institut Commercial du Nancy), Italy (La Salle University), and México (Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey-Tec de Monterrey, Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México-ITAM).
Her prior professional experience includes working as a marketing manager at a consultancy firm.
- PhD, Cardiff University, U.K. (AACSB Accredited)
- Post Degree Diploma in Social Sciences Research Methods, Cardiff University, U.K. (AACSB Accredited)
- MBA (Honors), Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México – ITAM, México City (AACSB Accredited)
- BS Computer Science Engineer Major (Honors), Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México – ITAM, México City
- Computer Science interchange program, Arizona State University
International Marketing, International Business, International Entrepreneurship, Marketing Strategy
- Martin Silvia, Javalgi Raj, Ciravegna Luciano (2018). Service Advantage Built on Service Capabilities: An Empirical Inquiry of International New Ventures. Journal of Business Research, Vol 88 Issue July, pp. 371-381, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0148296318300250
- Anderson Jeffrey, Martin Silvia, Lee Ruby (2018). Lobbying as a potent political marketing tool for firm performance: A closer look. Psychology and Marketing, Vol 35 Issue 7, pp. 1-11, https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/mar.21102
- Martin Silvia, Javalgi Raj, (2018). Epistemological Foundations of International New Ventures. International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, Vol 14, Issue 3, pp. 671-680, https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007/s11365-018-0517-4.pdf
- Martin Silvia, Javalgi Raj, Cavusgil Erin (2017). Marketing capabilities, positional advantage, and performance of born global firms: Contingent effect of ambidextrous innovation. International Business Review, Vol 26 Issue 3, pp. 527-543 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ibusrev.2016.11.006 , ISSN 0969-5931
- Martin Silvia, Javalgi Raj, (2016). Entrepreneurial Orientation, Marketing Capabilities and Performance: The Moderating Role of Competitive Intensity on Latin American International New Ventures. Journal of Business Research, Vol 69 Issue 6, pp. 2040-2051,http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2015.10.149 , ISSN 0148-2963
- Hughes Matthew, Martin Silvia, Morgan Robert E., Robson Matthew, (2010) Realizing Product-Market Advantage in High Technology International New Ventures: The mediating Role of Ambidextrous Innovation. Journal of International Marketing. Vol. 18 Issue 4 (December), pp. 1-21. https://pinnacle.allenpress.com/doi/abs/10.1509/jimk.18.4.1 ISSN 1547-7215.