I teach Health Care Finance, Accounting, Public Health and Nursing Administration at California State University, Los Angeles (and previously at CSU Dominguez Hills). I enjoyed an extensive career throughout the Los Angeles County Departments of Health Services, Public Health and the Chief Administrative Office while serving as Administrator, Chief Financial Officer and Strategic Planner for many County hospitals and healthcare facilities.
I teach Health Care Finance and Management classes in the Departments of Management, Accounting Public Health and Nursing Administration at California State University, Los Angeles. Previously I taught all aspects of health care administration, management, finance, planning, communication, systems, and community health agencies at California State University, Dominguez Hills (since 1980). Several of my former students at CSULA and CSUDH have been hired and promoted into senior leadership, management and clinician positions in health care, social services and educational institutions (both public and private) nationwide.
I have had an extensive full-time career in health care management throughout the Los Angeles County Department of Health Services (DHS), Department of Public Health (DPH), and previously, the LA County Chief Administrative Office (CAO). During this time I have served as Administrator, Associate Administrator, Assistant Hospital Administrator, Chief Financial Officer, Senior Manager, Strategic Planner, Area Administrator and/or Acting Administrator for the following networks of County DHS facilities:
• Hospitals: LAC+USC Medical Center Women's Hospital, Psychiatric Hospital, Pediatric Pavilion Hospital, Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, Long Beach General Hospital, Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF) and Alcohol Rehabilitation Facility
• Los Angeles County+USC Medical Center
• Comprehensive / Ambulatory Health Centers (HCs) : Long Beach Comprehensive Health Center and seven associated Community Health Centers (Harbor/San Pedro HC, Torrance HC, Wilmington HC, Bellflower HC, Norwalk HC, Hawaiian Gardens HC)
• Public Health Centers (HCs): Curtis Tucker HC in Inglewood, Ruth Temple HC in South Central LA, South HC in Watts, Torrance HC, Central HC, Glendale HC, Hollywood/Wilshire HC, Monrovia HC, North Hollywood HC, Pacoima HC, Pomona HC, Antelope Valley HC in Lancaster, Whittier HC, and Simms/Mann/Yvonne Burke HC in Santa Monica
• Community Health Services: Area Administrator, Administrative coordination / logistics for 8 Service Planning Areas, 14 public health centers, dental, radiology and pharmacy, DHS, DPH
• Mental Health Centers: 10 Mental Health Centers in the former Coastal Region, (Southwest quadrant of Los Angeles County), DHS
• DHS/DPH Health Strategic Planning: Assistant Director, DHS Strategic Planning Office.
Although retired from Los Angeles County Department of Health Services / Public Health (DHS/DPH) Administration, I remain actively involved with DHS/DPH by: 1) continuing as a volunteer consultant assisting/training my successors; 2) writing monthly articles for the DHS/DPH/DMH Managers Newsletter, their peer-reviewed journal; and 3) active involvement with the American Council of Healthcare Executives (ACHE), Healthcare Executives of Southern California (HCESC), University Health System Consortium (UHC), and other professional organizations