Admission to the MS in Healthcare Management program in the College of Business & Economics (CBE) is a two-part process. Applicants must satisfy the University requirements for admission to Graduate Studies (see A below) and must satisfy the College's requirements for admission to this graduate program (see B below).
A) For admission to the University graduate studies, applicants must have:
Submitted an official CSU Graduate Application to the University at the CSU Mentor website. (You will need to create an online account in order to fill out the application, pay the application fee, and follow all instructions.)
A baccalaureate degree from an accredited U.S. institution, or equivalent academic preparation as determined by the Admissions and Recruitment office or another appropriate campus authority.
Two official transcripts, which must include verification of the bachelor's degree.
A grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.5 (4.0=A) as determined by the Admissions and Recruitment office and a good standing at the last college attended. (Note: MS HCM requires a minimum 2.75 GPA – see below.)
A Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of at least 80 (Internet-based test), 213 (computer version) or 550 (paper version) for those applicants who earned a bachelor's degree from a school where English was not the principal language of instruction.
B) In addition to the University requirements for admission to Cal State LA for graduate study, the MS Healthcare Management program requires a 2.75 or better GPA and a program application sent by mail or email (see below). With this application, the program requires a cover letter, a copy of the transcripts, a resume documenting one or more years of healthcare work experience, statement of purpose and commitment, and two letters of recommendation (preferably from supervisors). GRE/GMAT results are not required for admission to MS HCM.
Program Applications may be sent by mail to:
California State University, Los Angeles
College of Business and Economics, HCM Graduate Admissions
Graduate Programs Office SH 256B
5151 State University Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90032-8120
Email applications or any questions about admissions or application process may be sent to Graduate Admissions Counselor Jane Ratan at email@example.com.
Whether in email or by mail, all applicants should send the following:
(2) A cover letter addressed to Graduate Admissions Coordinator, MS Healthcare Management program, College of Business & Economics, requesting admission to the program and containing (a) the semester and year in which applicant intends to enroll, if admitted; (b) the applicant’s healthcare experience length and positions; (c) applicant’s full name, address, email, and telephone number; (d) if available, the applicant’s Cal State LA campus identification number (CIN); and (e) the applicant’s undergraduate GPA overall and in the last 90 quarter or 60 semester units.
(3) A resume documenting a minimum of one year of healthcare work experience.
(4) A statement of purpose and commitment, elaborating why the applicant is pursuing the degree and should be admitted.
(5) Two letters of recommendation, preferably from persons who have supervised the applicant's work in a healthcare setting. Letters must be signed and contain current contact information for any follow up. Letters may be provided on the organizations’ letterheads and addressed to the Coordinator, MS Healthcare Management Program, or, alternatively, on the recommendation forms linked above.
(6) A copy of all transcripts submitted to the University.
AFTER ALL MATERIALS ARE RECEIVED by both the College and the University:
The College examines each applicant's submissions and potential, taking into consideration all academic and work experiences, levels of achievement and responsibility, letters of recommendation, and other factors that may have a bearing on the individual's potential for success in this program. Applicants are evaluated on the merits of their own application. Their applications may also be assessed in comparison with those of other applicants for the semester in which they seek admission. A personal interview may be requested by the College to clarify any of the submissions. Admission is competitive, and meeting the minimum requirements will not guarantee admission.
Applications without proper documentation or required submissions, e.g., official transcripts, employment history, essays, etc., will not be processed or may be denied by either the College or the University.
Students who are admitted but do not register in the semester for which they applied must reapply to the University and pay another application fee if seeking admission to any future term. There is no deferred admission. Reapplication to the College is not necessary if readmission is sought within one academic year. Students who seek to reactivate their CBE graduate program application file for admission consideration must send a letter to the Associate Dean for Graduate Studies, indicating the quarter for which they seek admission. With the letter, they must include information about any activities they have undertaken since the first application. Note that, unless granted a formal leave of absence, continuing graduate students who fail to attend two consecutive semesters may lose their continuing registration privileges and must compete for readmission with all other applicants. Please read about this and other applicable policies in the official Catalog, and other sources incorporated there by reference, for most current information.
Click here for the graduate application deadlines.
PLEASE NOTE THAT WE ALSO OFFER A GRADUATE CERTIFICATE PROGRAM IN HEALTHCARE LEADERSHIP. Read more about this program by clicking HERE