Returning Student Admissions

students walking by luckman fine arts complex

Who is a returning student?

A returning student is someone who previously attended Cal State LA as a regularly matriculated student, but lost their continuing student status. Please note that you may be subject to program impaction admission requirements.

What is program impaction?

Program impaction means that the number of applications from fully eligible students to a designated major far exceeds the number of spaces available in that undergraduate major. However, students can still be admitted to the major if they meet the program’s supplemental admission criteria.

Returning applicants must meet both University admission requirements and supplemental program admission requirements for admission consideration in to these programs. For more information, please visit

Program Impaction link click here

If I want to return to school, when do I apply?

You must apply during the filing period for the term you plan to return to school. To view the available admission periods, visit Available terms and Deadlines and Dates.

What if I was disqualified from the University?

  • If you originally left the University due to academic disqualification, please meet with disqualifying department advisor for re-admission advisement appointment. If you were an undeclared major, please meet with the University Academic Advisement Center.
    • Your disqualifying department advisor will issue an Undergraduate Petition for Reinstatement or Readmission from Disqualification Form. If the form is approved, please submit the completed re-admission petition form with all required signatures, to the Office of Admissions and Recruitment after submitting your application by the term’s initial document deadline.
  • If you left the school because of math and/or English remediation, before returning to the University, you must have successfully completed a college-level transferable math and/or English compostion course(s) with grades of 'C' or higher. If you have not done so, please plan to complete these courses at your local community college before returning to Cal State LA.

Do I need to resubmit transcripts?

If it has been more than 5 years since you last attended Cal State LA, or if you have attended another school since leaving the University, please plan to submit official transcript(s) from each and every post-secondary college/university attended (and currently attending) (not including Cal State LA), regardless if a college/university's courses appear on another institution's transcript.

What if I now have an Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) from a California Community College?

If you have an acceptable ADT, you may receive priority admissions consideration. For more information about the ADT and Cal State LA, visit the ADT webpage.

How do I apply?

Interested students may apply online via Please submit your application by the term's stated application deadline.