Who is a returning student?
A returning student is someone who previously attended Cal State LA as a regularly matriculated student, but lost their continuing student status. Please note that you may be subject to program impaction admission requirements.
What are major-specific criteria?
Programs where the number of applications from fully eligible students far exceeds the number of spaces available in that undergraduate major may have additional criteria for admission.
Returning applicants must meet both University admission requirements and major-specific criteria for admission consideration to these programs. For more information, please visit www.calstatela.edu/admissions/major-specific-criteria.
If I want to return to school, when do I apply?
What if I was disqualified from the University?
- If you originally left the University due to academic disqualification, readmission is not automatic. Disqualified students will not be considered for readmission until at least one semester has elapsed. Normally, students will be eligible for readmission when they have satisfied conditions and requirements established during an exit interview.
- We also require that a returning student to meet the following minimum Cal State LA and cumulative grade point averages (GPA):
Level/College Units Completed
FRESHMAN (0-29 semester units)
SOPHOMORE (30-59 semester units)
JUNIOR (60-89 semester units)
SENIOR (90+ semester units)
- Units earned elsewhere while under disqualification can be used to reduce the total grade point deficiency, but not the Cal State LA deficiency (which may be corrected through Open University enrollment via the College of Professional and Global Education).
- Your disqualifying College advisor will issue an Undergraduate Petition for Reinstatement or Readmission from Disqualification Form. If the form is approved, please submit the completed re-admission petition form with all required signatures, to the Office of Admissions and Recruitment after submitting your application by the term’s initial document deadline.
- If you left the school because of math and/or English remediation, before returning to the University, you must have successfully completed a college-level transferable math and/or English compostion course(s) with grades of 'C' or higher. If you have not done so, please plan to complete these courses at your local community college before returning to Cal State LA.
Do I need to resubmit transcripts?
If it has been more than 5 years since you last attended Cal State LA, or if you have attended another school since leaving the University, please plan to submit official transcript(s) from each and every post-secondary college/university attended (and currently attending) (not including Cal State LA), regardless if a college/university's courses appear on another institution's transcript.
What if I now have an Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) from a California Community College?
If you have an acceptable ADT, you may receive priority admissions consideration. For more information about the ADT and Cal State LA, visit the ADT webpage.