Admission FAQs for International Students

International Students

Can I make an appointment to have my international records evaluated?

We offer pre-admission advisement for undergraduate applicants, however we do not evaluate international records prior to admission application. To be considered for admission, you must apply to our university, and submit academic records as requested.

(NOTE: International graduate applicants are required to submit their International documents to a Foreign Credential Evaluation agency.  If you have studied at an institution outside of the US, you will need to have your foreign academic work evaluated by International Education Research Foundation (IERF) or World Education Services (WES) for initial evaluation. For more information, visit the IERF/WES webpage.

When will I hear if I have been admitted?

Once the University receives copies of all requested academic documents, please allow 6-8 weeks for evaluation and processing. Once a decision is made, you will be notified via email. Please also regularly check your GET Self Service Student Center To Do list, and submit additional information as requested in a timely manner. Missing documents will delay the admission process.

Can students with three year undergraduate degrees from India or Pakistan apply to a graduate program at Cal State L.A.?

As a general guideline, a three year degree from a recognized University in India or Pakistan is not considered equivalent to a U.S. baccalaureate. Graduates from these institutions may be admitted in undergraduate standing if coursework is determined to be acceptable and meets undergraduate admission requirements. Completion of a three year degree and a Post-Graduate Diploma from a recognized institution may possibly be considered for graduate admission.

How do I get my I-20 to study at Cal State LA?

Applicants holding or applying for an F-1 or J-1 visa must complete and submit the New Student I-20 Verification with signatures and appropriate documentation to show proof of funding. If you are interested in attending Cal State LA, please do not wait for your admission decision before submitting these documents. The advance submission of the verification form, and financial documentation, will help expedite the issuance of the I-20; if your I-20 paperwork is complete, the International Office can issue the I-20 immediately after your admission to the University.

If you are currently studying in the US, and please request to transfer your SEVIS to Cal State LA. Please do not transfer the SEVIS until you receive the offer of admission and you know that you plan to attend the University for the admit term. For the Cal State LA transfer form.

Other important information, including the deadline for the I-20/SEVIS transfer process. If you have any questions, please contact the International Office at (323) 343-3170,, or visit the International Office webpage.