Admission FAQs for All Students

All Students - Undergraduate and Graduate

What are Cal State LA's admission requirements?

How do I apply?

Please apply to Cal State LA using the online application at Cal State Apply. We encourage you to apply during the first month of the desired term's application filing period.

When do I apply?

To learn when the University is accepting admission applications, please visit the Available Terms for New Student Admission Applications webpage.

How much is the application fee?

The University Admission Application Fee is $55 USD (non-refundable/non-transferable). Please plan to submit the application fee payment at time of online application submission.

Where do I mail/send my admission related documents?

Learn where to send your documents.

I've applied. How do I check to see what is still missing?

To view if additional information/documents are needed, please login to your myCalStateLA portal, and access the GET Self Service Student Center To Do list. Learn how to access GET via your myCalStateLA portal.

Will I receive an admissions packet?

The Cal State LA Admissions Office sends Admission Decision notices via email only. Please regularly check your email for official notification of your admission status.

In GET, my Admissions portal shows INCOMPLETE and there are no items in my To Do list. What does this mean?

If there are no items listed in your GET (Golden Eagle Territory) To Do list and you have not yet received an official email notice regarding your admission decision, the admission status may show INCOMPLETE because it is still pending a University admission decision. Please regularly check your email and GET To Do list to ensure that you do not miss any important deadlines.

Where is my Cal State LA CIN?

Your Cal State LA CIN (Campus Identification Number) is noted on the top of emails sent to your from the Admissions Office. Please have your CIN readily available whenever you contact the University for assistance, and include it on email inquiries. This will help us locate your student record.

I have not received my PIN. How do I request it?

PINs are emailed to each applicant within 5-7 business days of application acknowledgement. If you do not receive it within this time, please check your email JUNK mailbox before contacting the Cal State LA Registrar's Office. To request your PIN to be re-sent to you, please call the GET Helpline at (323) 343-7438.

I am an international student. What else do I need to know?

Please visit the International Student FAQs webpage.


Are you an impacted campus?

Yes, Cal State LA is impacted. This means that number of undergraduate applications received, exceeds the number of available spaces. The University declared campus and program impaction in order to manage enrollment within current budget constraints, while preserving the highest quality academic experience and services to students. For more information, visit the Impaction webpage.

Are the SAT/ACTs required for admission?

Since Cal State LA is an impacted campus, a SAT/ACT exam score is required for first-time freshmen (and lower division transfer) admission. Learn how to send your SAT/ACT scores to Cal State LA. (NOTE: Upper division transfers are NOT required to submit SAT/ACT scores for admissions consideration.)

Do I have to take the English (ELM) and Math (EPT) Placement Tests?

Unless they have already met the general education requirement for English and/or math, all incoming undergraduate students are required to enroll in the appropriate English and math courses during their first year at Cal State LA . For appropriate course placement, unless exempt, new undergraduate students are required to take the English Placement Test (EPT) and/or Entry Level Mathematics test (ELM) after admission and prior to enrollment in classes.

To learn more about these CSU placement exams, including information about exemption methods, please visit the following websites:

To sign up for the exams, please visit the ETS website.

For more information CSU English and math requirements, please see California State University Executive Order 665.

How do I change my major?

Sorry, but we do not accept change of major requests during the admissions process.

During your first term of enrollment at Cal State LA, please make plans to meet with an academic advisor to request a change of major. If you decided to enter an impacted major, you will be held to the supplemental program admission criteria in place at that time. For more information about how to change your major as an enrolled student.

Graduates and Post-baccalaureate Credentials/Certificates

Where can I find the separate application for Graduate Programs?

Please note that many of Cal State L.A.’s graduate degree programs require a separate application in addition to the application from CSU Mentor. Deadline dates for specific programs can be found on the Office of Graduate Studies website (

Please check the appropriate website for information about application deadlines and how to obtain the application forms from the academic departments.

The following programs require a separate application for admission:

College of Arts and Letters
Communication Studies
Music Theatre & Dance
Television, Film and Theatre - MFA

College of Business and Economics
Business Administration (MBA) Economics
Health Care Management
Information Systems

College of Education
A listing of all programs offered through the Charter College of Education and a link to the separate application for each program are available at the following web page: Degrees and Credentials, Charter College of Education, California State University, Los Angeles.

College of Health and Human Services
Child Development
Communicative Disorders
Criminal Justice
Nursing (Nurse Practitioner Options)
Nutritional Science
Social Work

College of Natural and Social Sciences
Biological Sciences
Chemistry and Biochemistry
Environmental Science
Geological Sciences
Political Science
Public Administration
Sociology - Requires transcripts only

Note: The College of Engineering, Computer Science, and Technology does not require a separate application for its graduate degree programs.

How do I change my major?

Sorry, but we do not accept requests to change majors during the admission process.

After meeting with an academic advisor, you may request to change your major during your first term of enrollment at Cal State LA. If you decide to change it to an impacted major, you will be held to the supplemental program admission criteria in place at that time.