What is and is not ICT; Section 508 definition:
Information and Communication Technology. Includes information technology and any equipment or interconnected system or subsystem of equipment that is used in the creation, conversion, or duplication of data or information. The term electronic and information technology includes, but is not limited to, telecommunications products (such as telephones), information kiosks and transaction machines, World Wide Web sites, multimedia, and office equipment such as copiers and fax machines. The term does not include any equipment that contains embedded information technology that is used as an integral part of the product, but the principal function of which is not the acquisition, storage, manipulation, management, movement, control, display, switching, interchange, transmission, or reception of data or information. For example, HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) equipment such as thermostats or temperature control devices, and medical equipment where information technology is integral to its operation, are not information technology.
Information technology. Any equipment or interconnected system or subsystem of equipment, that is used in the automatic acquisition, storage, manipulation, management, movement, control, display, switching, interchange, transmission, or reception of data or information. The term information technology includes computers, ancillary equipment, software, firmware and similar procedures, services (including support services), and related resources.
Exclusions at the moment are as follows:
Output devices with non-transferable information:
- Permanently mounted projectors
- Keyboards of all sorts
- Presenter devices including document cameras
- Wacom or similar writing and drawing tablets (bluetooth input devices)
- Video and Audio cards
- Other internal computer components including add-on processors
- Adapters of all sorts
- Cables (exception: network cables because of compatibility issues)
- USB Hubs
- Data storage devices of all sorts (note: Departments are responsible for securing Level 1 and 2 confidential data on all devices, including those excluded from this approval process)
- USB drives
- SD cards
- Power adapters and UPS backup devices
Personal devices and apps:
- Smartphones and smartphone apps
- As applies to CCOE's Special Education Credential program as well as OSD, all assistive technology is exempt from ICT review.