Rules Reminder for Sociology Majors

Reminder for Sociology Majors


Sociology Majors Pursuing
Minors in Other Departments:

Students pursuing minors in other
departments MUST complete the Minor Program
prior to or at the same time

other BA requirements. State law prevents students from enrolling in courses
for Minor Program credit when other graduation requirements are fulfilled.
Students must get their graduation applications stamped by the Minor Department
and obtain a copy of the Minor Program plan for inclusion in the Sociology Department
BA Program Graduation Application.


 About Intro to Higher Education Course:

All entering freshman MUST take NSS 101

All transfer students MUST take NSS 301


About the Diversity Course

Students are required to take 8
quarter-units of official diversity courses marked with (
d) and listed in the Lower
Division GE Blocks
& Upper Division GE Themes.

à Students MAY use the SAME courses to simultaneously
fulfill GE AND Diversity

à Students may NOT use the same course to simultaneously
fulfill Major Program elective AND diversity


About the GE Theme:

Sociology Majors may NOT take sociology
courses for credit in the GE Theme; they must take another course offered in
the social sciences section of their theme.


About Course Pre-requisites:

Majors MUST take:

SOC 201 (or equivalent intro.SOC) BEFORE taking SOC
300-level & 400-level courses.

SOC 210a/210b (or equivalent statistics) BEFORE taking SOC
390 (methods).

ENG 102 (or equivalent) AND pass WPE exam BEFORE taking SOC 301

Completing SOC 301 and 390 early in the program.


About Sociology Elective
Program Courses:

SOME Sociology 300-level courses do NOT
count toward Major Program Elective credit, but only toward “free elective”
credit, that is, the overall unit-count
toward graduation.


The Following courses MAY be taken as
Sociology Major Program Electives: SOC 300, SOC 322, SOC 323, SOC 331, SOC 348,
& SOC 383. These are options, not requirements.


With prior advisor approval, a student
MAY take a MAXIMUM of 8 quarter-units in Upper Division (300/400-level) courses
outside of, but relevant to sociology. This is an option NOT a


About Independent Work (SOC
398/SOC 499):

Independent work is NOT required. It is
also NOT a “right.” It is an option and a privilege. Students may NOT apply
more than 8-units of independent work toward the Major Program; it does not
matter whether such work is taken as 398, 499, or a mixture of both.


SOC 398 is an
CR/NC course that requires extensive student applied/community work as well as
academic written work in Sociology. To take SOC 398 a student MUST:

Have a GPA of at least 2.3 

Obtain an acceptable field/community placement

Complete a 
-ED contract from

Obtain signed Permit to Enroll from Instructor agreeing to
provide the supervision/grade

Enroll in the course.


SOC 499 is a graded course based on
student original research or significant student role in an Instructor-project
or Institutional-project. To take SOC 499 a student MUST:

Have a GPA of at least 2.3 

Propose or be accepted as researcher on an acceptable research project

Complete a  SOC
499 Contract form

Obtain signed Permit to Enroll from Instructor agreeing to
provide the supervision/grade.

Enroll in the course


About Dropping Courses

Students choosing not to take Sociology courses they registered for
MUST complete official DROP procedures whether or not they ever
attended. Attend to deadlines! Failure to do so results in a grade of “U” which
is the equivalent to an “F” in the GPA.

Remember that drop forms may be left in professor boxes for signatures.
The steps are:

Students MUST obtain
the correct drop slip and complete all sections as directed

Students MUST obtain
the Course-Instructor signature first

Students MUST obtain
the Department Chair/Associate Chair signature second.

Students continue to
follow standard CSLA procedures and deadlines.


About Incompletes

Students unable to complete a Sociology Course MUST:

Have the course
instructor fill out an
Grade Agreement

Sign and comply with
terms in the required
Grade Agreement

Complete the work
(within 1 year), otherwise a failing grade will

à Students do NOT (and cannot be required to) re-enroll to
fulfill an incomplete.


About Filing for Graduation:

Students MUST make an appointment with a
Sociology Department Advisor to apply.

Dates to file are in the Quarter Schedule
of Classes, and CANNOT be changed.

Students should file approximately 2 ½
quarters before the expected completion of their degree work.

Prior to filing for graduation, Sociology
Majors MUST have earned GRADES in at LEAST 145 quarter-units – applications
will not be considered by the Graduation Office prior to completion of 145