California State University, Los Angeles
The Psychology Department Advisement Syllabus
The Psychology Department is committed to providing students with accurate, up-to-date information on the major and University requirements, and to empower students to become active participants in determining their own success at the university as an engaged student, active learner, self advocate, and to support their timely progress toward graduation.†
††††† Location†††††††††††† King Hall C3104
†††† Phone Number†† (323) 343-2250
††††† E-mail††††††††††††††† email@example.com†††††††††††††††††††††††††††
††††† Office Hours†††††† Mon-Thurs†††† ††††8:00 am-6:00 pm
† ††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††Fri††††††††††††††††††† ††8:30 am-4:30 pm
All students regarding Psychology major requirements.
Seeing an Advisor
- Appointments may be made by calling the Department office at (323) 343-2250.
- Cancellations - if you know you will not be able to keep your appointment, please call the office as soon as possible to cancel or reschedule.
- Your appointment may be cancelled if you are 10 minutes late.
Walk-Ins are seen based upon the availability of an advisor on a first come first serve basis.
Preparing for Your Advisement Session
- If you have questions about Psychology requirements, bring a list of questions or courses you are interested in taking.
- If you are experiencing academic problems, give some thought to what you believe are causing these problems and have a tentative plan for solving them.† The advisor will discuss your situation with you.
- If you wish to discuss your academic plan please review your Unofficial Transcript from your GET account and bring a list of questions/concerns to the advisement session.† If your transcripts have not been evaluated in GET, bring copies of those transcripts.† (We are NOT the official evaluators for the University.)
- Plan ahead in order to make your time with an advisor more productive.
Expectations of Students
- See an advisor.
- Check your CSULA email regularly.† This is the official means of communication used by the University.† (You can find step-by-step instructions to forward your CSULA email to your personal account at the following link: http://www.calstatela.edu/its/docs/pdf/forwarding_emails.pdf.)
- Make and be responsible for your own decisions.
- Know the requirements for staying in good standing.
- Maintain accurate and complete advising records.
Expectations of Advisors
- Assist the student to develop a plan for meeting the requirements that are consistent with the Psychology major.
- Review the studentsí selection of classes to make sure courses are appropriate.
- Help the student develop strategies for academic success.
- Help the student plan appropriate steps to correct academic difficulties.
- If needed, refer the student to appropriate campus resources.
Expected Student Learning Outcomes
- Students will understand their personal responsibility for their own academic, personal, and professional success.
- Students will have an awareness of how to utilize the necessary information, resources, and available options to make sound educational and lifelong decisions.
- Students will understand what they need to do to achieve their desired goals.
Key Considerations for Academic Success
1. Go to class every day and get to know your professors.†
- Understand the policies, procedures, and impact academically and financially for dropping classes within or beyond the no record drop period.
- Balance school with other areas of your life.† Plan and devote enough study time to do as well as you can in your classes.
- Have good study habits and get academic assistance early if needed.
Advising and University Resources
For information regarding other campus advising resources [such as the Business & Economics (B&E) Advisement Center, Engineering, Computer Science, and Technology (ECST) Advisement Center, and Health Careers Advisement Office (HCAO)] and student support services (such as the Career Development Center, Testing Center, Tutorial Center, and Writing Center) go to the UAAC website: www.calstatela.edu/univ/advise.