Department of Psychology

The Department of Psychology Peer Advisement Center


Frequently Asked Questions

Q1. How many units do I need to graduate?

  • 180 quarter units total

  • 72-80 quarter units in Psychology

  • 45 units at CSULA; including 36 Upper Division
    units and 18 units in major

    Q2. I've completed my G.E. requirements and my requirements for the major. Am
    I now ready to graduate?

  • No. The university also requires students to complete the General Education Upper Division Theme requirement. Moreover, the
    student is still required to not only meet the course requirements but also the
    unit requirement (180 units). Just completing the course requirements will not
    necessarily meet the unit requirement.

    Q3. What determines which University catalog I am required to follow in order
    to meet graduation requirements?

  • Students have two catalog years that will
    dictate what requirements they will need to adhere to. The General Education
    Catalog determines the general education courses a student is required to take
    while their Major Catalog determines the courses in their major that they will
    have to take. A student's G.E. catalog is the year a student begins continuous
    attendance at a college (including community college) while the Major Catalog
    is determined by the year the student declares their major.

    Q4. When will I know officially how many units I have transferred from other
    schools and what requirements these classes have fulfilled?

  • You will get a Transfer Credit Evaluation sheet
    from the university. This sheet will show you how many units CSLA will accept,
    how many of these classes will fulfill General Education requirements, and
    which classes in Psychology have transferred. If you have any questions about
    this sheet, feel free to see an advisor at either the Psy. Peer Advisement or
    Natural and Social Science office (KH D1044).

    Q5. How many units can I bring in from an accredited community college?

  • You can apply a total of 105 quarter units
    toward a CSLA degree.

    Q6. I was on the semester system. How will my units transfer into the quarter

  • Semester units transfer to the quarter system at
    the rate of 1½ quarter units per semester unit. Thus, three semester units will transfer over to CSLA
    as 4.5 quarter units.

    Q7. Can I take a class at a community college or another 4 year school for
    transfer while I am attending CSULA? Summer session at a community college?

  • Yes. See University catalog under
    "Concurrent Enrollment"; Students can be enrolled in another
    community or university but the student should fill out a "Notification of
    Dual Registration" form at Student Affairs Rm. 101 by the end of the third
    week of the quarter involved.

    Q8. I received a "D" in a core course. Can I take the class over or
    in some way better the "D"? What about an "F" or

  • Yes. You may retake the course for a better
    grade if you received a D, F, or U. The original low grade will remain on your
    transcript (not erased), but it will not be included in the calculation of the
    GPA. You must fill out a repeat course petition by the add deadline of the
    quarter you will be repeating the course.

    Q9. How do I get into closed classes?

  • If you get a message by the STAR system
    notifying you that a course is full, you will be put on a waiting list (but it
    won't tell you what number you are on the waiting list). Thus, you can still
    try to add the class during the first session because you might be on the
    waiting list. Even if you may not be on the waiting list you can still try to
    add the class during the first session.

    Q10. May I take the same courses to satisfy both the G.E. upper division theme
    requirements and as well as Psychology major requirements?

  • No. You may not have one class count for both
    the upper division theme and the Psy. major requirement. You are not supposed
    to take Psychology courses to satisfy the Upper Division Theme; this also applies to cross
    listed courses. (e.g., NURS/PSY 307).

    Q11. Can seniors receive graduate credit as an undergraduate course?

  • Yes. In your final quarter of undergraduate
    study, you may apply toward graduate credit a maximum of 8 units in courses
    beyond the minimum requirements for the baccalaureate, provided you had maintained a minimum
    2.5 grade point average in all upper division work. See pg. 81 of University Catalog for
    further details.

    Q12. Can I get credit by examination for courses?

  • Yes. If you are in good standing and officially
    enrolled in the University you may challenge courses, with the approval of the instructor,
    by taking examinations developed at the campus. See pg. 51 of University Catalog for
    further details.

    Q13. What should I do if I have complaints about an instructor's behavior?

  • If possible, students should try to resolve complaints
    informally with the instructor and/or the Chair of the department. More formal greivance
    procedures can be found in the Eagle Guide or by accessing the World Wide Web at

    Q14. What opportunities are available for helping experiences in Psychology?

  • Experience can be gained through the Educational
    Participation in Communities office (EPIC) (323) 343-3380.

  • Experience can be gained through working at the
    Psychology Peer Advisement Center as a Peer Adviser. Units earned through Peer Advisement
    can be used toward your major.

  • Psychology 398 Cooperative Education permits students
    to gain elective academic credit for discipline related work

    Q15. Can Psychology courses be taken Credit/No Credit?

  • Yes, if that class is not
    being used to fulfill a requirement in the Psychology major the class may be taken on
    a CR/NC basis. See pg. 56 of University Catalog for further details.

    Q16. How did I end up on academic probation? Is it possible to graduate with a
    "D" in a course required for your major?

  • In any given quarter, if your cumulative GPA
    falls below 2.0, you may be placed on academic probation. See pg. 57 and 58 of
    the University catalog for details about probation and disqualification. You
    may graduate with a "D" in a course required for the major so long as you have
    enough grade points to achieve a 2.0 average in both your major and the overall
    coursework youÂ’ve taken at CSULA.

    Q17. May I participate in the June graduation ceremony even if I don't finish my degree
    program until the Summer Session?

  • Officially, students who applied for graduation
    after the Fall quarter are expected to participate in the graduation ceremony
    the following June. Unofficially, students may participate in the ceremony the preceding
    June. Your name will appear on the commencement program in June only if you
    applied for graduation during the Fall quarter.

    Q18. Where do I go to get counseling on how to make my way in college or on such topics as
    drugs, sex, parental and personal problems?

  • You can get personal
    counseling on such issues at the Student Health Center. You can call (323)

    Q19. How do I withdraw from a course?

  • You are responsible for withdrawing from a
    course either through the STAR system or in person depending on the time in the
    semester you drop the course. Do not assume the instructor will drop you from
    the class if you stop attending classes. See the calendar in the Schedule of
    Classes for relevant deadlines.

    Q20. Is it necessary for everyone to see the Peer Advisors/Undergraduate Advisor?

  • Yes. At some point in your academic career,
    ideally in the beginning, you will need to fill out an official Psychology contract.
    The completed contract is required from you in order to determine what coursework will
    apply toward your major requirements. This contract can only be done when you see a
    Peer Advisor or Undergraduate Advisor.

    Q21. Should I seek advice from other Psychology faculty besides the
    Undergraduate Advisor?

  • Students concerned about graduate work and
    careers should definitely seek the opinions of several faculty members. There
    are many views and opinions about graduate school, so try to get a range of
    perspectives. Keep in mind that your plans for graduate school should conform to your
    career objectives.

    Q22. Where do I go for information about graduate school and the application process?

  • Obtaining
    information about graduate study is a complex process. You will need to ask
    questions of many people. Read general literature, check the Psychology Department
    Webpage for information on professional organizations and career planning available
    on the internet and write to the schools which interest you for applications and specific
    information. The Peer Advisement office has catalogs of most universities, both private and
    public. In addition, both the Peer Advisement Office and the library have copies of Graduate
    Study in Psychology
    , which lists most university programs nationally.

    Q23. What happens if I want to take a quarter or a year off?

  • A student wishing to take time off from school
    should request an Educational Leave of Absence. Undergraduate students may
    request a leave for no fewer than 3 and no more than 8 quarters. Petitions must
    be filed at Administration 146.