The following key points should be considered when authoring the confidentiality section.
- If data will be made available to anyone other than the participant,
the investigator, or the investigator's staff, then describe the purpose
of the disclosure and the nature of the information to be furnished.
- Specify the duration of time the data will be retained before erasure
- Disclose use of such data for other purposes, including educational
purposes, and obtain permission in a special portion of the consent document.
- If tape recordings or videotapes are made, explain who will have
access, if they will be used for educational purposes, and when they will
- There is a difference between "confidential" and
"anonymous." Decide which applies.