The following key points should be considered when authoring the confidentiality section.
- If data will be made available to anyone other than the participant,
the investigator, or the investigator's staff, then describe the purpose of the disclosure and the nature of the information to be furnished.
- Specify the duration of time the data will be retained before erasure or destruction.
- Disclose use of such data for other purposes, including educational purposes, and obtain permission in a special portion of the consent document.
- If tape recordings or videotapes are made, explain who will have access, if they will be used for educational purposes, and when they will be erased.
- There is a difference between "confidential" and
"anonymous." Decide which applies.