The Teacher Preparation Option in History is designed for students seeking a Single Subject Credential in Social Science. This degree - Bachelor of Arts in History: Teacher Preparation Option - has been approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC) for the Single Subject Credential in History-Social Science.
Eduardo Marin, in La Higuera, Boliva (2018)
BA, CSULA (History-Teacher Prep Program) 2013
Teacher, Lakeview Charter Academy
Students who graduate with this option in the history major will fulfill all subject matter certification requirements mandated by state law as part of the credentialing process to teach history and social science in California public schools at the middle-school and high-school levels.
The major consists of courses in history and other social science disciplines. Students must earn a grade of "C" or higher in all courses that satisfy the major requirements.
Peer Facilitators (Student Teaching Assistants) Fall 2018
Download a checklist of the program requirements for the Teacher Preparation Option history major.
Early consultation with the program director is strongly recommended for all students interested in becoming middle-school or high school history-social science teachers. Download Instructions on how to schedule and prepare for an advisement session.
Program Requirements: 66 units
Lower Division Courses (24 units)
- HIST 1010 World History to 1500 CE (3)
- HIST 1020 World History since 1500 CE (3)
- HIST 2010 U.S. History to 1877 (3)
- HIST 2020 U.S. History since 1877 (3)
- HIST 2080 California (3)
- ECON 1500 Economics for the Citizen (3)
- GEOG 1550 Cultural Geography OR RELS/PHIL 2000 Introduction to Comparative Religions (3)
- POLS 1000 Government & American Society (3)
Upper Division Required Subject Areas (18 units)
- HIST 3080 Historiography (3)
- HIST 3090 (pre-req. HIST 3080) Historical Research and Writing (3)
- ECON 3600 or ECON/POLS 4260 or HIST 4010 Developing Countries & New Global Economy or International Political Economy or History of Globalization (3)
- GEOG 3700 World Regional Geography (3)
- GEOG 4510 or 4310 Historical Geography of North America or California (3)
- POLS 3730 (pre-req. POLS 1000) Foundations of Comparative Politics (3)
Required Courses in Pedagogy (6 units)
- HIST 3000 Early Field Experience in History-Social Science Education (3)
- HIST 4960 (pre-req. HIST 3090) Issues in Teaching History-Social Science (3)
Upper-Division History Concentration (18 units)
- U.S Courses (6 units): any two classes from HIST 4700 to HIST 4890, or HIST 3450
- Europe Course (3 units): any class from HIST 4110 to 4370; or HIST 3100
- Africa, Asia, or Middle East Course (3 units): any class from HIST 4410 to HIST 4540
- Latin America Course (3 units): any class from HIST 4610 to 4690
- HIST 4900 (pre-req. HIST 3090): Research Capstone: Special Studies In History (3)
Download a complete list of the History Department's courses.
Sample Road Maps to Graduation
The following road maps cover the major, GE, and degree requirements for the B.A. in History (Teacher Preparation Option). A minimum of 120 semester units is required for any B.A. degree.