University Scholarships and Financial Aid
In order to be considered for nursing grants, loans, scholarships, and other financial aid programs, distributed from university donors and implemented within the CSULA system, the following process must be followed:
- Go to the Center for Student Financial Aid, located at Student Affairs Building, 124.
- Apply for financial assistance, submitting a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to the Department of Education processing center. The priority deadline is March 2nd of each calendar year. Students must re-apply for financial aid every academic year. Students may apply on-line at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/index.htm or obtain a paper form at The Center for Student Financial Aid.
- Once approved for financial assistance, apply/file a General Scholarship Application. This is necessary to complete if you wish to apply for university nursing scholarships. The deadline for continuing students is in April, and monies are awarded for the upcoming fall quarter. You will need to include one letter of recommendation (There is a recommendation form to be completed with a written letter of recommendation to be attached). Most undergraduate university nursing scholarship opportunities require a 3.0 GPA.
- Send the completed application, letter of recommendation and form to the Center for Student Financial Aid.
- Check criteria and up-to-date nursing scholarship listings at http:// www.calstatela.edu/univ/finaid/on_campus.htm.
- Scholarship awards may be based on academic achievement, specific nursing program or level, campus and/or community participation, financial need, gender, or ethnic affiliation, or a variety of other purposes.
Community, organization, and other non-university based nursing scholarships
Students are encouraged to check on-line for nursing scholarship opportunities. There are many available scholarships for both undergraduate and graduate nursing students offered nationally by government and professional organizations; as well as locally by various hospitals.
Information on what scholarships are available are posted on the scholarship bulletin boards located on the 4th floor of the Simpson Tower Building. Applications for some scholarships are available in the Nursing Student Services Office, ST 415. If a hard copy is not available, you may need to obtain the application on-line.
Notification of scholarship opportunities is also given to student organization and class presidents, faculty, and is posted on the Nightingale Society Website.
Questions regarding scholarships or financial aid may be addressed to the School of Nursing Scholarship Chair.