To apply to the TA program, applicants must submit the following to the English Department (for submission deadline, see Teaching Associate Job Posting Announcement):
- TA application form, available in the English Department Advisement Office (E&T A638) or as a downloadable PDF (see below);
- transcripts of post-secondary work (unless degrees are from Cal State LA);
- a writing sample of approximately 10 pages demonstrating proficiency in academic discourse;
- completed recommendation forms from three Cal State LA faculty (forms available in the English Department Advisement Office (T&T A638) or as a downloadable PDF (see below)); and
- cover letter for the application materials (the cover letter should indicate why the applicant is interested in the TA program and how the applicant will use the experience as a component of his or her graduate experience at Cal State LA; if the applicant has taught in the past, then he or she should provide evidence and also include a description of any previous teaching experience in the cover letter).
Once accepted, TAs must complete the first two components of the training program before they will be assigned classes to teach.
Students will be selected as Teaching Associates based on the quality of past academic performance, their potential for teaching, and their demonstrated ability or potential to work effectively and collegially with students, staff, and faculty. All applications will be reviewed by the Graduate Studies Committee and the TA Coordinator. All qualified applications will be ranked. Numerical rankings and openings available will determine entry into the TA Program.
The training program consists of the following four components:
- TAs must have completed (or be enrolled in) ENGL 5040: Theories of Composition and Rhetoric;
- Once accepted, TAs must complete an orientation program conducted by the English Department (during this orientation, TAs will receive assistance in constructing syllabi, developing lesson plans and assignments for the first few weeks of class, and learning about other practical teaching issues)
Conditions of Employment
- TAs will be appointed at Teaching Associate Range A;
- during each semester of teaching, TAs will be available for individual conferences with the TA Coordinator; every TA will be visited in his or her first semester of teaching and, thereafter, as deemed necessary;
- TAs will be reappointed at the discretion of the Department Chair, upon recommendation by the TA Coordinator and contingent upon successful performance and class availability;
- TAs will not be given assignments during semesters when they are employed full-time elsewhere unless a formal written appeal has been made and approved by the TA Coordinator and the Department Chair;
- TAs must maintain a 3.5 GPA on their master’s program in order to remain in the TA program and remain eligible for assignments; any students who fall below that level will need to re-apply to the Graduate Studies Committee for reinstatement as TAs when their GPAs return to a 3.5; additionally, TAs must enroll in the one unit TA workshop; and completion of all incomplete grades is required before an assignment can be made.
Teaching Associate Job Posting Announcement
- Graduate Program in English Home
- Graduate Admissions
- Recent Grads Success
- MA Degree Culminating Activities
- MA Program Forms and Worksheets
- Significations (Graduate Student Conference)