2019-2020 Teaching Associate Program
Minimum Requirements for applying to the TA Program
- Successful completion of ENGL 5040 by the end of Spring 2019
- 3.5 GPA in the Master's Program
To apply to the TA program, applicants must submit the following to the English Department (for submission deadline, see Teaching Associate Job Posting Announcement):
- TA application form, available in the English Department Advisement Office (E&T A638) or as a downloadable PDF (see below);
- Transcripts of post-secondary work (unless degrees are from Cal State LA);
- A writing sample of approximately 10 pages demonstrating proficiency in academic discourse;
- Completed recommendation forms from three Cal State LA faculty (forms available in the English Department Advisement Office (T&T A638) or as a downloadable PDF (see below))
- Cover letter for the application materials (the cover letter should indicate why the applicant is interested in the TA program and how the applicant will use the experience as a component of his or her graduate experience at Cal State LA; if the applicant has taught in the past, then he or she should provide evidence and also include a description of any previous teaching experience in the cover letter).
Application Review Process
Students will be selected as Teaching Associates based on the quality of past academic performance, their potential for teaching, and their demonstrated ability or potential to work effectively and collegially with students, staff, and faculty. All applications will be reviewed by the Curriculum Committee and the First-Year Writing Director. All qualified applications will be ranked. Numerical rankings and openings available will determine entry into the TA Program.
The training program consists of the following two components:
- TAs must complete an orientation program conducted by the English Department prior to the beginning of the academic year serving as a TA.
- TAs must participate in bi-weekly one hour long training during the semesters in which they are TAing.
TAs will be paid for their participation in the summer orientation as well as the biweekly training.
Conditions of Employment
- TAs will be appointed at Teaching Associate Range A.
- TAs must participate in the paid post-appointment training.
- Every TA will be observed by the First-Year Writing Director in the TA’s first semester of teaching and, thereafter, as deemed necessary; TAs are also encouraged to schedule individual conferences with the First-Year Writing Director to discuss their teaching practices and questions.
- TAs will be reappointed at the discretion of the Department Chair, upon recommendation by the First-Year Writing Director and contingent upon successful performance and class availability.
- TAs will not be given assignments during semesters when they are employed full-time elsewhere unless a formal written appeal has been made and approved by the First-Year Writing Director and the Department Chair.
- TAs must maintain a 3.5 GPA on their master’s program in order to remain in the TA program and remain eligible for assignments; any students who fall below that level will need to re-apply to the Graduate Studies Committee for reinstatement as TAs when their GPAs return to a 3.5.
Teaching Associate Job Posting Announcement
- Graduate Program in English Home
- Graduate Admissions
- Recent Grads Success
- MA Degree Culminating Activities
- MA Program Forms and Worksheets
- Significations (Graduate Student Conference)