CSULA Department of English | Composition Resources

Hiring, Evaluation, Rehiring

English Department Staff

Department Office Hours



Faculty ID Cards


Campus Computer (NIS) and GET Accounts

Access to Computers and Campus Computer Labs

Library: Location, Access, and Resources


Hiring, Evaluation, Rehiring (back
to top


New applicants for lecturer positions are reviewed yearly
by the Part-Time Instructors Review Committee (PTIRC), who rank those that they
recommend, and these names are added to the lecturer pool. The English
Department chair selects applicants from the pool to fill any vacancies that
become available.

Departmental Evaluation of Teaching

University policy requires regular evaluation of all
part-time faculty. Contract faculty are reviewed yearly, and quarter-to-quarter
faculty must be reviewed after they have taught two quarters. In the English
Department, lecturers are reviewed by the Part-Time Instructors Review Committee
(PTIRC), an elected committee of full-time tenured English Department faculty.
All lecturers submit a file of materials to the office of the Dean of Arts and
Letters in January (the specific date is announced each year). PTIRC evaluates
instructors on the basis of the instructional materials in their file, their
student evaluations, and a classroom observation, if one has been conducted.
Classroom observations are not needed for long-term instructors unless they are
requesting range elevation, but they are strongly recommended for those
instructors who have recently begun teaching at Cal State LA. After PTIRC has
reviewed the files, the committee completes a College of Arts and Letters
evaluation form that summarizes their evaluation of each instructor. The files
and evaluations are next reviewed by the chair of the department who may concur
with the committee or complete a separate evaluation to disagree with or qualify
the conclusions of PTIRC. The Chair of the English Department holds an
informational meeting on the review process after the completion of the fall
quarter Composition Faculty Meeting.

Eligibility for Contracts, Rehiring

Lecturers are eligible to be rehired based on their
evaluation by PTIRC and the guidelines/requirements in the California Faculty
Association (CFA) contract with the CSU. The current contract has expired and is
now under negotiation. Under the last contract, lecturers who had taught for six
years were eligible for a three-year contract. Lecturers with fewer than six
years of service were eligible for a one-year contract if they met the specified
service requirements during the previous academic year. Generally, the terms of
an expired contract area continued while negotiations are ongoing, but lecturers
may wish to contact CFA to learn more regarding their status and benefits while
we are between contracts. Instructors who are not eligible for year contracts
but who have received a satisfactory rating from PTIRC may be hired on a
quarter-to-quarter basis, depending on course enrollments and departmental

Salary and Salary Increases

Salary compensation is determined by the outcome of
negotiations between CSU and CFA. Lecturers are eligible for both
"general" salary increases and "salary service increases" (SSIs).
In addition, lecturers are eligible for "range elevation" when they
can no longer receive SSIs in their current range. Lecturers should contact CFA
regarding any questions about salary increases.

English Department Staff (back
to top

The English Department is fortunate to have three
excellent, long-term staff members who keep the department running smoothly:
Yolanda Galvan, the department secretary and office manager; Jeanne Gee, who has
widely varied secretarial responsibilities involving both faculty and staff; and
Terry Flores, whose primary responsibilities are in Student Advisement and
Records. We sometimes have a part-time student assistant to help the staff. This
is an extremely small staff considering the size of the department (over 60
faculty members including lecturers and TAs) and the number of students enrolled
in English classes. They are willing to help composition faculty in any way, but
they have many demands on their time, so please limit requests to those that are
absolutely essential to teaching.

Department Office Hours (back
to top

To be available to students who take late afternoon or
evening classes, the office is open from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on
Mondays-Thursdays. It is also open from 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. on Fridays, but is
closed for one hour for lunch on Fridays (time varies).

Office Assignments, Keys, Mailboxes, Telephones, and
to top

Offices: All
offices are shared; in some cases, desks are also shared. Yolanda attempts to
arrange office assignments so those instructors with different teaching
schedules share the same office. She makes office assignments at the beginning
of the fall quarter and notifies instructors if their offices will be changed
for subsequent quarters. We no longer have enough space for all lecturers and
TAs to have offices on the sixth floor of E&T, so some offices are located
in the Fine Arts building.

Keys: Each
instructor receives two keys: one to his/her office and the second to the
departmental office containing the mailboxes and copy machines. Yolanda will
complete the required form, obtain the necessary signatures for approval, and
submit the form for processing. When your keys are ready (generally after
several days), you will be notified and then must go to the Campus Police office
to pick them up. Instructors who are hired on quarter-to-quarter contracts must
turn in their keys to Yolanda if they are not returning for the next quarter.
Keys must also be turned in if you are moved to a different office or at the end
of the academic year.

Mailboxes: Each
instructor has a mailbox in the departmental office. Check it regularly for
departmental, university, and student communications.

The departmental telephone number is 323-343-4140. All
instructors have a telephone extension in their office for calling students and
for receiving calls. Only local calls (including 323, 818, 626, 562, and 310
area codes) can be made from offices. To call students living in other area
codes, instructors must use the phone in the department office. Not all
lecturers and TAs have voice mail because of the costs involved in setting up
voice mailboxes. Therefore, instructors should list the departmental telephone
number along with their extension number on their syllabus.

E-Mail: Instructors
receive a campus e-mail account and address when they open a computer account.
Instructors preferring to be contacted through another contact e-mail address
should notify Yolanda Galvan.

Payroll/Paychecks (back
to top

Instructors who are on quarter-to-quarter contracts must
complete various employment forms at the Human Resources Department in ADM 605
and must be added to the university payroll each quarter. Paychecks for contract
instructors are issued between the 30th and the 1st, depending on the month.
Instructors who have one-quarter appointments and Teaching Associates receive
checks according to a different schedule. Jeanne Gee notifies these instructors
each quarter regarding the dates when checks will be available.

Faculty ID Cards (back
to top

All lecturers are required to obtain a faculty ID card.
Some contract lecturers have permanent Golden Eagle ID cards, and these are
automatically renewed when they receive their contract and are added to the
university payroll. Those contract lecturers who have paper ID cards must go to
the Golden Eagle card office in the basement of King Hall to have their ID
updated. Lecturers who are hired on a quarter-to-quarter contract obtain their
ID from Human Resources in ADM 605 after completing their personnel and payroll
forms. They will have to have the ID updated each quarter.

Parking (back
to top

Parking stickers can be purchased from the Cashier in the
Administration Building. (The other option is to buy a daily permit.) Certain
sections of the parking structures are reserved for faculty and staff. Lecturers
must have their Human Resources ID card (NOT the Golden Eagle Card) to buy a
faculty/staff parking pass.

Campus Computer (NIS) and GET Accounts (back
to top

Both faculty and students need a NIS computer account to
access the library catalog and to use the open access computer labs on campus.
Faculty also must have a GET account to access the student information system
and to submit grades online. Yolanda will provide new lecturers with the
necessary forms and submit them once they are signed. You will be notified when
the accounts have been processed and must then go to Academic Technology Support
(ATS) in Library South to pick up your accounts. The NIS and e-mail account is
usually ready within a week; the GET account takes longer to process but will be
ready well before grades are due.

Access to Computers and Campus Computer Labs (back
to top

A NIS account is required to use any campus computer. There
are a number of open access computer labs on campus that are available for
student and faculty use. There is also a faculty lab located in Fine Arts 138.
This lab not only has some of the best computer hardware and software on campus,
but also offers software support and training for faculty.

Library: Location, Access, and Resources (back
to top

JFK Library, located west of King Hall, is comprised of two
wings: Library North and Library South (the Palmer wing). The collection of
books is unfortunately somewhat limited. However, it has extensive databases,
and interlibrary loan is very efficient. Both students and faculty need a NIS
account to access the databases and the library's card catalog.

Emergencies (back
to top

Reporting an Emergency

Call campus police at 911 from any campus telephone. Dial
3-6000 from your cell phone.

Difficult or Threatening Students

When a faculty member needs assistance with a difficult
and/or threatening student, she or he can alert the staff using the departmental code word.
The departmental code word is listed in the beginning of the term memo
distributed to all faculty. For more information, consult the memo or contact
the departmental staff.

Emergency Drills

Cal State LA holds regular emergency drills. Usually, you
will be notified in advance. When the alarm sounds, everyone must vacate the
building. You will be directed to a location away from the building by the
emergency drill monitors for the building.