M.A. in Education
CSULA, Charter College of Education
Option in Mathematics Education
Division of Curriculum and Instruction
The MA in Education, Option in Mathematics Education is a program that
prepares teachers for leadership roles to improve mathematics teaching
and learning of students in schools. The high-quality courses
translate theory and research into effective teaching practices for
diverse learners in urban setting with particular emphases on the use
of appropriate electronic technology and active learning for
As graduates of MA in Education, Option in Mathematics Education, one
may find work as:
- Mathematics teachers at the K-12 level
- Mathematics specialists in public and private schools
- Developers of mathematics curriculum
- Lead teachers in mathematics
- Educators within informal non-academic environments such as
museums, zoos, and aquaria
- Providers of professional development and in-service
workshops in mathematics
- Authors of textbook
- Consultants for publishing companies
- Develop an understanding of current issues, practices and
directions in curriculum and the ability to inquire into these.
- Develop knowledge and skills in educational research;
develop analysis and reflection skills and written and oral
- Identify and analyze topics of importance in current
educational conversations and debates for critical issues related to
urban elementary education.
- Deepen their commitment to their students and their
students’ learning of mathematics.
- Increase their confidence to teach mathematics.
- Improve their ability to manage and assess their
students’ mathematics learning.
- Augment their capacity to think reflectively about their
teaching of mathematics
- Increase their capacity to become an agent of change in the
field of mathematics education.
As a part of the Option in Mathematics Education, students receive
individual advisement and instruction from expert faculty members who
combine extensive classroom-teaching experience, research, and
pre-service and in-service teacher development in the area of
mathematics education. For more information regarding Mathematics
Education Option, contact any of the program coordinators below:
Dr. Frederick Uy
Dr. Frances Kuwahara Chinn
Dr. Ramakrishnan Menon
Application to the Program
Click HERE to find out how to apply to the program.
Click on the Program Plan to learn what types of classes you’ll be taking as
part of the Mathematics Education Option.