The M.A. program in Educational Technology and Leadership at California State University, Los Angeles, is designed to prepare computer/technology specialists for schools, school districts, and non-traditional education and training settings. People completing the program might work as computer literacy teachers and lab coordinators, computer coordinators for a school or school district, computer-based trainers, or they may opt to stay in their regular classroom but use their knowledge to thoroughly integrate technology into their teaching.
In order to prepare well-rounded computer specialists, the program provides instruction in several areas: authoring tools, media design and development, computer applications in schools, leadership in computer/technology education, and educational foundations and research. Note : A Level 1 California Administrative Credential is required for the position of district-level computer coordinator. A valid California teaching credential is required for teaching positions in public K-12 schools.
Requirements for the Degree (45 units)
A total of 45 or more units is required, with at least 23 units in 500-level courses. A comprehensive examination or a thesis or project is required.
- EDIT 430 Information Technologies in the Classroom (4)
- EDFN 500 Evaluation of Educational Research (4)
- EDIT 435 Computer Systems in Education (4)
- EDIT 451 Survey of Instructional Media and Technology (4)
- EDIT 484 Computer Authoring Tools (4)
- EDIT 502 Fundamentals of Computer Education (4)
- EDIT 556 Technology Leadership in Schools (5)
- EDIT 580 Applied Experience in Instructional Technology (4)
Electives (9, 16 or more units in Instructional Technology)
Select from the following, depending on the choice of thesis, project orcomprehensive examination—total units in the program must be 45 or more with 23 units or more at 500-level.
- EDIT 472 World Builders (5)
- EDIT 490 Special Topics in Instructional Technology (2-5)
- EDIT 540 Instructional Graphics Design and Production (5)
- EDIT 550 Multimedia Design and Production (5)
- EDIT 554 Video Technology in Education (4)
- EDIT 557 Computer Assisted and Managed Instruction (5)
- EDIT 560 Internet and the World Wide Web in Education (4)
- EDIT 565 Distance Learning (5)
- EDIT 594 Selected Studies in Instructional Technology (1-5)
- Electives offered in other departments (with advisor approval)
- EDFN 596 Comprehensive Examination (0) or
- EDFN 599A Thesis* or Project Planning (3) and
- EDFN 599B Thesis* or Project (2) and
- EDFN 599C Thesis* or Project (2)
Students should expect to take the comprehensive examination (EDFN 596) during the Fall or Spring Quarter and must comply with College and division requirements.