Bioscience Entrepreneurs Boot Camp
The LA BioStart Bioscience Entrepreneurs Boot Camp is a five-week, highly interactive, intensive training program pairing emerging bioscience entrepreneurs with industry experts and executives for rapid training in business fundamentals, bioscience knowledge and leadership skills. The courses will be held on the Cal State LA campus ten minutes from downtown Los Angeles and at the Los Angeles Cleantech Incubator (LACI)’s LaKretz Innovation Center in the Arts District. The boot camp is a partnership among Cal State LA the Biocom Institute and LACI.
Upon successful completion of the boot camp, participants will receive a full year of membership to Biocom.
*Applications for Summer '17 Bioscience Entrepreneurs Boot Camp are closed, we are now accpting applications for Winter '18*
Who should apply?
- Early-stage entrepreneurs
- Emerging entrepreneurs interested in taking bioscience ideas to market
- Scientists, university faculty, postdoctoral fellows and graduate students
What Topics are covered?
The boot camp addresses the challenges most common to scientists and new entrepreneurs seeking to turn their scientific discoveries into successful companies. Seasoned business professionals will also benefit from lessons in bioscience-specific topics such as FDA-regulated development, manufacturing and quality control processes.
Subjects will be covered in three suites:
Bioscience Business Suite
- Bioscience R&D Process
- Regulatory Affairs
- Quality Assurance & Quality Control
- Reimbursement, Marketing & Sales
- Corporate Partners & Exit Strategies
Business Fundamentals Suite
- Design Thinking
- Business Model Canvas
- Legal Basics
- Investment and Financing
- Understanding Personality Styles
- Influence & communication skills
- Driving Positive Change
Visioning, Strategic planning & goal setting
Schedules for Summer 2017 Boot Camp (applications are now closed)
Our first Boot Camp will be held between July 12th - August 16th. The program is free. Most courses will be taught on weekday and Saturday afternoons but during the five weeks there will also be six full-day sessions.
In an effort to accommodate participants’ schedules, 2 to 4 individuals collaborating on an existing or planned business venture may apply for a single spot as a team. Team applications should include the CVs/Resumes of all individuals on the team, one “team” cover letter, and one executive business summary of a draft business plan. It is expected that teams will decide which members will attend which specific instruction/mentoring sessions.
Please note; this schedule may be subject to minor adjustment.
We are now accepting applications for our second cohort!
Experts and Professionals involved in instruction and mentoring for Boot Camp for Summer '17 include:
- Todd Peterson, Chief Technology Officer, Synthetic Genomics
- Jeff Silverman, Corporate Vice President, Celgene
- Wenyuan Shi, Professor UCLA and Chief Scientific Officer, C3J Therapeutics
- Ed Baracchini, Chief Business Officer, Xencor
- Gerard Jensen, Director of Technical Services, Gilead Sciences, Inc.
- Neelima Firth, Principal, Best Laid Plans, Inc.
- Monica Alfaro Welling, Managing Director, Atheln, Inc.
- Jill Adler-Moore, Professor of Microbiology, Cal Poly Pomona
- Gary Fujii, President and CEO, Molecular Express, Inc.
- Alan Crunkleton, President and CEO, TriFoil Imaging
- Will Sarat Chuchawat, Partner - M&A Team Leader, Shepard Mullin Richter & Hampton LLP
- Ronald Allen, President, Global Regulatory Affairs
- Barney Santos, Entrepreneur in Residence, the Center for Entrepreneurship & Innovation, Cal State LA
- Jim Cooper, Co-founder and CTO, Braid Theory
- Dax Stephens, LACI Investments and Advising Team
Doug Lane, CEO, Douglas C. Lane Advisors
Ed Beres, Director of University Relations, LACI
Tom White, Executive Director, LACI@CSUN
John Lasko, Entrepreneur and Advisor
Stan Tomsic, Managing Director, Magna Point Group
Dave Moon, Professor, CSUN