Senior Assistant Librarian: Metadata Librarian
1) An earned MLS/MLIS or equivalent from an ALA-accredited institution is required at the time of application.
2) Evidence of experience applying cataloging rules and metadata standards/schemas, including one or more the following: Dublin Core, MODS, PREMIS, EAD, VRA Core, RDF, XML, BIBFRAME, MARC and RDA.
3) Evidence of experience with metadata transformation, remediation tools and techniques (e.g. Oxygen, MARCEdit, PyMARC, OpenRefine, XSLT, and/or scripting languages), and batch record processing and metadata crosswalks.
4) Evidence of experience working with integrated library systems (ILS) and/or library services platform (LSP).
1) Demonstrated ability and experience to plan, manage, and oversee complex projects, meet deadlines, and prioritize work in alignment with objectives of the library and the university.
2) Evidence of organizational, analytical and problem solving skills.
3) Evidence of experience in digital initiatives by creating original descriptive metadata and data dictionaries for digital collections including born-digital and digitized items.
4) Demonstrated familiarity with electronic resource management systems and institutional repositories.
5) Evidence of experience engaging in scholarly activity, professional development, and service.
The primary professional responsibilities include leading and supporting the creation, analysis, enrichment and maintenance of metadata for Cal State LA’s physical, electronic and digital library collections. The Metadata Librarian will collaborate with other library personnel to develop policies, procedures and workflows that enhances access and discoverability of the library’s collections and support the curation of the library’s digital content. The Metadata Librarian will review vendor-provided metadata records and revise for discoverability standards as appropriate. The incumbent will also monitor trends in cataloging, metadata, and resource discovery and introduce new ideas for potential implementation. Responsibilities also include service on system-wide and campus committees and task forces, and activities that foster professional growth.
This is a full-time, 12-month appointment.
The successful candidate will be committed to the academic success of all of our students and to an environment that acknowledges, encourages, and celebrates diversity and differences. To this end, the successful candidate will work effectively, respectfully, and collaboratively in diverse, multicultural, and inclusive settings. In addition, the successful candidate will be ready to join faculty, staff, students, and administrators in the University’s commitment to the principles of engagement, service, and the public good.
Initial salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
California State University, Los Angeles (Cal State LA) is one of 23 campuses within the California State University system. The University is the premier comprehensive public university in the heart of Los Angeles. Cal State LA is ranked number one in the U.S. for the upward mobility of its students, and is dedicated to engagement, service, and the public good. We offer nationally recognized programs in science, the arts, business, criminal justice, engineering, nursing, education, ethnic studies, and the humanities. Our faculty have a strong commitment to scholarship, research, creative pursuits, community engagement, and service.
Our 240,000 alumni reflect the City and County’s dynamic mix of populations. The University has one of the most diverse student populations of any college or university in the nation. As a federally recognized Hispanic-Serving Institution, and Asian-American, Native American, and Pacific Islander-Serving Institution, Cal State LA recognizes the transformative power of education and embraces its duty to identify and serve the needs of all of its students. The University is committed to creating a community in which a diverse population can live, work and learn in an atmosphere of civility and respect for the rights and sensibilities of each individual.
As the academic heart of the university, the University Library’s mission is to advance intellectual discovery, stimulate creativity, inspire learning and transform Cal State LA’s diverse communities by connecting people to knowledge, providing learner-centered spaces and delivering innovative and responsive services. The University Library is undergoing rapid transformation with new leadership, a recently completed strategic plan, a growing team of passionate, collaborative and forward-thinking library faculty and staff, and a deep commitment to improving student success and supporting faculty excellence. An ambitious architectural master plan has just been completed, providing an exciting and transformative vision for renewing the library’s physical spaces to accommodate the growing needs of Cal State LA’s students and faculty. As part of the master plan, an academic success center will be developed that will provide comprehensive and fully integrated peer-to-peer academic success services for students. Librarians at Cal State LA enjoy full faculty status and are eligible for campus professional development/funding opportunities, sabbatical leave, university-wide service, and other benefits. For additional information see http://library.calstatela.edu/.
Please submit the following to the Appointments Committee Chair at the email address below:
1) A cover letter specifically addressing minimum and preferred qualifications.
2) A curriculum vitae.
3) A narrative statement describing your commitment to working effectively with faculty, staff, and students in a multicultural/multiethnic urban campus environment with a substantial population of first-generation students.
4) A list of three professional references.
5) A University Application for Employment Form
Finalists will be required to submit:
Employment is contingent upon proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
For full consideration, application materials must be received by December 1, 2019 and will continue until the position is filled.
Please email all application materials in a single PDF to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please type “University Library Tenure-Track Application” in the subject line.
Please address all questions to the Appointments Committee Chair Holly Yu at: email@example.com .
Note: The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
In addition to meeting fully its obligations under federal and state law, Cal State LA is committed to creating a community in which a diverse population can live, work and learn in an atmosphere of tolerance, civility and respect for the rights and sensibilities of each individual. To that end, all qualified individuals will receive equal consideration without regard to economic status, race, ethnicity, color, religion, marital status, pregnancy, national origin or cultural background, political views, sex, sexual orientation, gender identification, age, disability, disabled veteran or Vietnam era veteran status.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/TITLE IX EMPLOYER
Upon request, reasonable accommodation will be provided to individuals with protected disabilities to (a) complete the employment process and (b) perform essential job functions when this does not cause undue hardship.